MediaTek took Computex stage in Taipei to unveil the new Helio M70 5G modem. The SoC that goes by the same name would be an integrated chipset featuring the new 5G modem, advanced CPU, GPU, ISP, DSP, and a neural engine. MediaTek envisions the chipset for 5G equipped phones of all cost and class.
MediaTek Helio M70 5G: Key Highlights
Its a 7nm FinFET based chip featuring Arm Cortex-A77 CPU and Mali-G77 GPU. It comes with APU 3.0, an in-house designed AI processing unit. The new 5G modem is baked into the chipset, unlike the Snapdragon solution. Qualcomm SD855 chip and the X50 modem are separate components and hence the mobile phone companies could buy the X50 5G modem with or without the chip.
Digging into the details, MediaTek Helio M70 boasts the following features:
- 4.7 Gbps download speeds and 2.5 Gbps upload speeds
- Supports 4K video encode/decode at 60fps and super high-res 80MP camera.
- Smart power savings and optimizations thanks to the 7nm architecture.
- Dynamic multi-mode connectivity among 2G, 3G, 4G, and 5G networks, as well as dual connectivity among LTE and 5G with power sharing.
- Support for the sub‑6GHz spectrum and mmWave technology increases its scope during the 5G rollout to masses.
MediaTek Helio M70 5G: Availability
MediaTek has already invested $1.5 billion in 5G research and development over the last couple of years. It has partnered with smartphone makers, network equipment manufacturers, carriers, etc to get the rollout ready. The company has acquired required certifications and standard compliances such as 3GPP Rel-15.
MediaTek aims to be the vanguard of the 5G advent for general masses with affordability in the crux. As for the availability, we could expect the devices to ship with the Helio M70 5G chip in 2020 when the market matures with the required infrastructure.