MediaTek 5G chipset first saw the daylight at the Computex stage in Taipei back in May. Back then, the official title was not mentioned. Well, months later out of nowhere, the name has been announced. The MediaTek 5G chipset is called ‘Dimensity 1000’.
“We chose the name Dimensity to highlight how our 5G solutions are driving new waves of innovation and experiences, much like the fabled fifth dimension,”
– MediaTek President Joe Chen.
Besides the name, the company has been generous with more details about the chipset. Let’s jump straight into them.
MediaTek Dimensity 1000: Key Takeaways
- At its core, Dimensity 1000 is a 7nm FinFET based chip nesting Arm Cortex-A77 performance CPU and Cortex A55 power-efficient cores. Notably, the architecture follows the 4×4 structure.
- On the chip, there is room for Mali-G77 MC9 GPU and APU 3.0. APU 3.0 is an in-house designed processor with 6 cores. It boasts 4.5 TOPS performance.
- Dual 5G (both SA and NSA) support with upto 4.7 Gbps download speeds and 2.5 Gbps upload speeds
- Integrated 5G NR modem with two carrier aggregation support for the sub‑6GHz spectrum and mmWave technology.
- Dynamic multi-mode connectivity among 2G, 3G, 4G, and 5G networks, as well as dual connectivity among LTE and 5G with power-sharing.
ALSO READ: Huawei Kirin 990 is a 5G-integrated 7nm SoC
- World’s first 5-core ISP supporting multi-exposure 4K video encode/decode at 60fps and super high-res 80MP camera. Alternately, multi-camera setup (32MP + 16MP) also possible.
- Smart power savings and optimizations thanks to the 7nm architecture and integrated 5G modem. MediaTek vaunts a smaller silicon size too.
- Last but not least, this one’s extols to bring the world’s first dual 5G SIM technology too.
Here’s how it differs from the previous top-of-the-line Helio G90T 4G chipset –
Dimensity 1000 vs Helio G90T
|Model||Dimensity 1000||Helio G90T|
|CPU||4x Cortex A77 at 2.6GHz
4x Cortex A55 at 2.0GHz
|2x Cortex A76 at 2.05GHz
6x Cortex A55 at 2.0GHz
*clock speed not mentioned
|Mali G76 MP4 at 800MHz|
|APU||APU 3.0 + 4.5 TOPS performance||2x APU +1TOPs performance|
|DRAM||4x 16b LPDDR4x||LPDDR4X at 2133MHz|
|Optics||80MP/ 32MP + 16MP
|1x 64MP/ 2x 24+16MP|
|Video Playback||4K60 with multi-exposure||4K30 (H.264 & HEVC)|
|Modem (Integrated)||5G Sub-6
DL = 4600Mbps
UL = 2500Mbps
DL = 600Mbps
UL = 150Mbps
ALSO READ: 10 Best Foldable Phones
MediaTek Helio M70 5G: Availability
As far as availability is concerned, we could expect the devices to ship with the Dimensity 1000 5G chip later this year as well as in early 2020