Often we find ourselves in a situation where we have to completely erase our phones, be it for reselling, for switching to a new phone, for reverting back to an earlier version of the software, as a last resort in fixing an anomaly, or maybe just for a fresh start and to get rid of the clutter. Resetting a phone gives you a clean slate, but before you wipe off your data, you might want a backup. (हिंदी में पढ़िए)
The process of doing a factory reset is pretty simple and remains almost the same across all the devices. In this article, let us take a look at the way we can factory reset an iPhone running iOS 12.
How to back up your iPhone data before Factory reset (on iOS 12)
- Connect your iPhone to your Mac or PC.
- Fire the iTunes application.
- Now, go to File -> Devices -> Backup and backup your entire data to your computer manually. The data can also be encrypted which means that your data will be safe within your computer.
- Alternatively, if you want to back up your data to the cloud, you can go to Settings -> iCloud -> Backup
Now you are ready to factory reset your iPhone
Steps to Factory Reset iPhone (on iOS 12)
- Go to Settings
- Tap on the ‘General’ option, then scroll down for the Reset option
- Tap on ‘Erase all Contents & Settings’
- In the next step, enter your password or code to authenticate the request
- Now, enter your Apple ID password, this step logs you out from the phone and will be prepared for a complete data wipe. This step ensures that your phone will be ready for use as a new device on startup
- Your iPhone then completely wipes out the existing data on your phone. This process takes some time, after which your phone is ready for reuse
Once you are done with the factory reset, you may flash your backed-up data from the cloud or using the local backup from your personal computer. The process for restoring your data is pretty much the same as backing up your data.