Last night, Apple hosted its annual developer conference to let everyone know where its software experience is heading. The Cupertino tech giant is finally relinquishing tight control it has maintained on its ecosystem so far and is giving in to something more flexible. New software changes also aim to bring all Apple devices closer to each other, to add a seamless continuity across all platforms.
There were quite a few exciting announcements made at WWDC 2016 and here are some of the most important ones that you should know. Let’s quickly browse through 2016 Apple developer conference.
The iOS 10 gets a much needed design overhaul, along with a slew of other features. Apple also opened up Siri, iMessage and Maps for developers. Some of the highlighted ones are listed below, but certainly there is a lot more to be discovered.
- You can uninstall stock apps (Finally).
- New, neater notification panel.
- ‘Raise and Wake’ wakes your phone as you lift it. You can then interact with notifications using 3D touch.
- Developers can integrate Siri in their apps. Siri also helps you type faster by providing predictive inputs in QuickType keyboard
- Apps like iMessage, Apple News, Photos, Apple Music and Maps get a design overhaul and emerge swankier than ever before.
Apple Watch OS 3
Everybody, including Apple, is still trying to figure out what a Smartwatch actually is. With the new Watch OS update, Apple continues its experimentation and put another foot forward.
- Apps can now load faster. 7 times faster than the previous version!
- You can press the side button to reach ‘Dock’ where you can browse through all apps
- Watch gets a new control center
- You can swipe up to switch to Do Not Disturb or Airplane mode
- A scribble keyboard can be used to type on the watch
- Several Activity specific Watch Faces added
- A new SOS feature that connects to emergency numbers world wide
OSX is now macOS and the 2016 OS version has been christened Sierra. Besides the rebranding, Apple has focused on improving continuity between devices. It’s closer to iOS than ever before.
- Brings Siri to desktop. You can navigate, search and execute commands using voice.
- Adds Apple Pay transactions on Safari. Authentication will work via Touch ID on iPhone or Watch.
- Universal clipboard allows you to Copy and Paste across multiple devices
- You can choose to move old files to cloud automatically
Apple announced upcoming new additions to tvOS Catalogue, besides other enhancements. Several new Apps and content channels are coming to tvOS soon. Here are a few exciting changes.
- New Apple TV Remote app which has all features of Apple TV remote
- Siri integration will let you use voice commands and voice search.
- You can also use Siri to search in YouTube
- A single sign-on system lets you sign-in on all apps
- ReplayKit lets you live broadcast gameplay or save it for later
Release date for all: Developers today, Public Beta testers next month. Final version expected this fall.