The government of India made FASTag compulsory across the entire India from December 15. 2019. The toll gates all around India were updated to accept electronic automatic payments as toll tax instead of manually collecting tolls from every vehicle. At first, there was a cash lane made for those who didn’t have FASTag, but slowly it was withdrawn as FASTag was made mandatory failing which double toll was collected from the vehicle driver/owner. Although there are many benefits of this system, one niggle that can trouble anyone anytime is insufficient balance in the FASTag account. In this article, we have discussed ways one can keep a check on their FASTag Account Balance.
National Highway Authority of India manages the FASTag system, which is an electronic toll collection setup. It is a small chip-like portable device that works on Radio Frequency Identification and allows automatic deduction of toll amounts directly from the account linked to it.
The device is affixed on the windscreen of the vehicle and it can be read by RFID reader only at the toll plazas around India. The biggest advantage of FASTag is cashless payments so you don’t have to have the amount in cash or wait in queue.
Working of the FASTag System
When your vehicle passes through the lane of the electronic toll plaza, the RFID reader at the lane will capture the FASTag details and forward them to the bank for processing. The bank will send an immediate request to the National Electronic Toll Collection server so that it can validate the tag. After validation, the server will respond with details about the tag and vehicle so that the process can be completed. The concerned bank will debut the linked tag holder’s account and send the debit response alert to the NETC system. An SMS will also be received by the user. The host will notify the toll plaza and the vehicle will be able to pass through.
The process might seem long but all this takes within seconds so that the flow of traffic is not obstructed.
What is FASTag Balance?
FASTag balance is the money left in your account after the deduction of toll tax. If you don’t have sufficient balance in your account, you won’t be able to travel or the double toll will be deducted when you recharge your account next time. Thus it is important to keep track of your FASTag balance. There are various ways to know your balance.
Ways to Check FASTag Balance
FASTag Balance can be checked by using GPay, Paytm, PhonePe, and many other apps. It can be checked using SMS, the customer care helpline, the website of the bank, or the website of NHAI.
Method 1: Checking FASTag Balance Online
Checking the FASTag Balance Online is one of the easiest ways. Just follow the given steps-
- Visit the website of the bank or mobile wallet from where you purchased the FASTag.
- Key in your username and password to log into your account.
- Click on the Balance Tab to view your current FASTag balance.
- The amount in your FASTag account will be displayed on the screen.
Method 2: Checking FASTag Balance via Mobile Application
FASTag apps are available on Google Play Store and Apple App Store. These can be used to check FASTag Balance. Just follow these steps-
- Open the FASTag application you have downloaded.
- Key in the registration number of your vehicle and your registered mobile number.
- Tap on the ‘Check Balance’ option and your FASTag balance will be displayed on the screen.
Method 3: Checking FASTag Balance using G Pay, Paytm & PhonePe
These 3 apps are most commonly linked to FASTag and thus can be used to check the balance.
G Pay App
- Open the app on your phone and click on the ‘Recharge and Pay Bills’ option.
- Click on the ‘FASTag and Recharge’ option and select your bank from the list of banks.
- Key in your registration number and tap on the ‘View Balance’ button.
- Open the app on your phone and click on the ‘Pay Bills’ tab.
- Tap on the ‘FASTag’ option.
- Key in your registration number.
- Click on the ‘View Balance’ button.
- Open the app on your device and tap on the ‘Recharge’ option.
- Tap on the ‘FASTag’ option.
- Key in your registration number and click on the ‘View Balance’ button.
- Check FASTag Balance by Calling on Customer Service Number.
Method 4: Checking FASTag Balance Using SMS
When you register your FASTag account, you will be asked to enter a mobile number. This number will be your registered mobile number and can be used to check your FASTag balance by SMS. When a toll is deducted from your account, you will get an SMS that will show how much amount has been deducted and also the remaining balance of your account.
Method 5: Checking FASTag Balance with Vehicle Number
- Download and open the My FASTag app on your device.
- Log in to the app using your username and password.
- Enter your vehicle number and then you will be able to see the FASTag balance linked to the vehicle number.
Method 6: Checking FASTag Balance using the Bank Website
The following banks support FASTag on their websites-
- Axis Bank
- IDFC Bank
- Karur Vyasa Bank
- EQUITAS Small Finance Bank
- Paytm Payments Bank
- Kotak Mahindra Bank
- Syndicate Bank
- Federal Bank
- South Indian Bank
- Punjab National Bank
- Punjab & Maharastra Co-op Bank
- Saraswat Bank
- Fino Payments Bank
- City Union Bank
- Bank of Baroda
- Yes Bank
- Union Bank
- Nagpur Nagarik Sahakari Bank Ltd.
To check your FASTag balance, visit the website of any of the above banks and follow the procedure.
Advantages of FASTag
- The system is convenient to consumers/drivers. Since it is an automatic system, one doesn’t have to wait in queues and thus time and energy are saved.
- The system tames corruption as employees won’t be able to take physical money from any passerby.
- When used wisely, FASTag is a safe and secure payment system.
- It offers safety against crime and accidents as vehicles will be easily trackable if needed.
- There are discounts on toll amounts for those using FASTag which saves money.
Drawbacks of FASTag
- The ETC scanners don’t work properly on various toll plazas leading to delay in deduction of FASTag payment.
- Servers fail leading to a delay in the process of the FASTag deduction.
- Toll plazas have reduced workforce due to the automatic system of FASTag. This has led to unemployment.
- Owner’s registration and bank details get registered with a FASTag account so when the owner sells the vehicle, problems might arise as it isn’t clear if the new owner will be able to drive the vehicle with the same FASTag or not.
- FASTag is a compact card that can be stolen and misused if not handled wisely.
- Sometimes, wrong or double charges are deducted from the account and the user doesn’t know how to complain about it.
1. What is the helpline number for queries regarding FASTag?
1800-102-6480 can be called for any queries regarding FASTag.
2. Can one apply for refunds when funds are incorrectly deducted from the FASTag account?
Mostly FASTag system auto-detects the incorrect FASTag transaction and refunds the wrongly deducted amount in 3-7 days. However, if that doesn’t happen, the customer care number given above can be called upon.
3. Is there a way to check the FASTag balance via missed call?
The user can give a missed call on the toll-free number +91-8884333331 to check the FASTag balance.
4. Is FASTag compulsory for all vehicles?
Yes, FASTag is now compulsory for all vehicles running on National Highways in India.
5. How can one avoid running out of FASTag balance?
By keeping a check on the balance, recharging the account before the balance is exhausted, and setting up automatic recharge, one can avoid running out of FASTag balance.
6. What happens when your FASTag has to be replaced?
Visit your bank’s website or NETC customer service desk to get a replacement for your FASTag.
7. What to do when the user is relocating to a new city?
Inform your about the changed address to your FASTag issuing bank. Otherwise, FASTag will continue working seamlessly as it is valid on all toll plazas across India.