Amazon Alexa can now play more than 350 radio stations apart from streaming music from services such as Amazon Prime Music, Gaana, Saavn, and Hungama Music. The ratio service on Alexa will include a live broadcast from 17 All India Radio stations (AIR) that include 14 different Indian regional languages. Apart from AIR channels, it also broadcasts a number of Indian private radio and global stations with TuneIn and myTuner integration. This means you could tune in to veterans like FM Gold and Vividh Bharati too.
To access these channels, you will need to enable skills for each station from your Alexa app. For those who don’t know, Alexa Skills are the constructive commands to connect voice assistant to hardware and software to perform certain tasks. So, you get Radio City with 14 Alexa skills ranging from Radio City Sufi to Bollywood Mix and Deepam, the Radio One skills to play live radio stations from Delhi, Mumbai, and Bengaluru.
How to play FM Radio Channels on Alexa?
- First and Foremost, needless to say, you need to have an Amazon Echo or any other Alexa compatible device, or just Alexa app on your phone.
- Next, you have to enable the All India Radio, Radio City, and Radio One skills in your Alexa app (tap on the menu icon on the top left corner and select ‘skills & games’).
- Now, just call your smart assistant with the desired command. For instance, “Alexa, play” or “Alexa, open” followed by the name of your radio skills. You can access specific stations such as “Alexa, open All India Radio Malayalam” or “Alexa, play Radio City Delhi” to stream music from the available radio stations.
- We thank Alexa for its integration with TuneIn and myTuner. So now if you want to listen to Today’s Hits or know sports updates through International Radio stations, you can!
- Finally, if you want to try something random or are confused, just say, “Alexa, what radio stations do you have” and Alexa will present the entire list of all the radio stations available in your Alexa app.
Convenient access to radio on phones?
The battle of Intelligent Assistants gets smarter with times and this new update could do the trick for Alexa. What is your take on this? Recently, the U.S tech giant reported that its Alexa-equipped devices have peaked over 100 million shipments globally. Though its immediate rival from Google has a galore of features too, it managed to ship a significantly lower volume of 500 million Google Assistant devices. However, the latter forecasts its voice assistant on one billion devices soon.