Instagram is one of the most widely used social networking apps in the country. It is a photo-sharing platform and thus stores plenty of personal data as well. For some, their Instagram account is like a photo album of all their lives memories, and milestones.
If you use Instagram actively, you must have seen accounts getting hacked regularly. Scammers/Hackers take over Instagram accounts and use them to commit frauds like promoting cryptocurrency or robbing people of money through various ways. Once an account is hacked, it becomes a hassle to get access to it. Avoiding it is the most essential way of keeping your information safe. This is where Password helps. Password changing on Instagram is a very simple method and it helps keep the account safe.
However, there are various scenarios wherein password sharing is needed, and we have tried to cover almost all cases. Dive in to get complete information.
- How to Change Instagram Password on Android and iOS
- How to Change Instagram Password on Desktop
- How to reset your Forgotten Instagram Password
- How to Change Instagram Password without old password
- How to Know if Your Instagram Account is Hacked
How to Change Instagram Password on Android and iOS
The steps to change your Instagram password are the same on an Android or an iPhone-
- In the Instagram app, tap on your Profile icon at the bottom right.
- Tap on the hamburger menu, in the top right corner.
- Select the Settings and Privacy Tab.
- Go to Accounts Centre.
- Tap on Password and Security and select the Change the Password option.
- If you have connected your Instagram to your Facebook account, you will see options to change the password for both your Facebook and Instagram accounts. Pick your Instagram account from here.
- Key in your current password and then the new password on this page.
- Once done, tap on the Change Password button at the bottom of the screen.
How to Change Instagram Password on Desktop
If your smartphone gets stolen or you lose it somehow, you will need to change your Instagram password and secure your account as soon as possible to prevent any misuse of information. In such a scenario, you can use a desktop/laptop and Instagram website to change the password.
- Go to the Instagram website- www.instagram.com and log in to your account.
- On the homepage, there will be a hamburger menu icon at the bottom left of your screen. Click on it.
- Select the Settings option.
- In the Settings menu, click on See More in Accounts Center.
- Go to the Password and Security Tab.
- Click on the change password option.
- Select your Instagram account and type your current password and the new password you want to set.
- Once done, hit the Change Password button.
Forgot Instagram password? Here’s how you can reset your Instagram Password:
If your account gets hacked or you forget the password of your Instagram account, you can’t use the usual method of changing your Instagram password. So, you will need to do that from the login page itself.
- Open the Instagram app on your Android/ Ios device.
- On the Instagram log-in page, click on Forgotten password.
- On the ‘Find your Account Page’ enter your username, email id, or mobile number to find the Instagram account you have lost.
- Tap on either of the first 2 options depending on whether you have access to your email ID or phone number and tap on Continue.
- You will now get a mail and from there you can choose to log in to your account directly or reset your password first.
- From the mail, tap on the Reset your password option and that will open a new window where you can set a password.
- After typing in a strong new password, click on Reset Password.
How to Change Instagram Password without old password
If you don’t have your mobile with you and you can use a laptop/desktop to access the web version of Instagram. Just follow these steps-
- Go to the Instagram website on your PC.
- On the Instagram login page, click on Forgot password.
- On the next page, enter your email ID, Username, or phone number linked with your account and click on Send Login Link.
- Now you will see a confirmation page where you have to check the “I am not a robot” box and click on Next.
- You will receive an email wherein you will find the option to Reset your password. Click on it.
- Create a strong new password and once done, click on Reset Password.
How to Know if Your Instagram Account is Hacked
These 2 signs will let you know if your Instagram is hacked-
Unusual Activity Notification
If you have set up two-factor authentication on Instagram, even if someone does get your password right, you will need to approve the login for them to be able to log in. If not, you will see a pop-up on your mobile device that Instagram has detected a new login. The location will also be shown. If you don’t recognize the location, and if it wasn’t you, someone is trying to hack into your account. Change the password to avoid a breach.
Incorrect credentials error
It is a very obvious sign-in which you can’t access your account even with the correct credentials. This is because the hacker has changed the password of your account in the first place. To avoid such a scenario, two-factor authentication is needed.
Click below to know how to enable two-factor authentication.
1. How do I find my Instagram account?
If you don’t remember your Instagram username, you can log in using your associated email ID or phone number. This will help you find and log in to your Instagram account.
2. How do I get my old Instagram account back?
If your account was deleted, there is no way to get it back. However, you can create another Instagram account with the same email ID. Sadly, that’s the only way.
3. How to choose a password?
Instagram suggests using a password that contains a minimum of 6 characters including numbers, letters, and special characters. Avoid repetition. This will allow you to create a super strong password.