Qualcomm has announced a very interesting upgrade to its Snapdragon 700 series, the Snapdragon 750G. The mid-range chipset promises a 10% improvement in GPU performance over Snapdragon 730G, is the cheapest Qualcomm chipset to support mmWave 5G and employs Cortex-A77 cores in the performance cluster.
With Snapdragon 800 tier getting progressively expensive, the 700 series is becoming very prominent in capable mid-range devices. The Snapdragon 750G is similar to and pin-compatible with Cortex-A77 based Snapdragon 690 in many ways, but the 600 tier must have been more difficult to market.
Snapdragon 750G Features
- Snapdragon 750G is manufactured on Samsung’s 8nm LPP process node.
- Unlike the Snapdragon 768 or Snapdragon 765, there is no Prime Cortex-A77 core here and the SoC maintains (2+6) DynamIQ configuration. However, Cortex-A77 brings in 25% improvement over Cortex-A76 used in Snapdragon 765/768 and this should really close the CPU performance between the three chipsets.
- The 6 Cortex-A55 cores are clocked at 1.8GHz, similar to Snapdragon 768, Snapdragon 765, and even Snapdragon 730G.
- CPU and GPU cores in combination with Hexagon 694 DSP and tensor accelerator can deliver 4 TOPS for AI.
- The camera ISP, LPDDR4x memory support, encode-decode pipeline are all similar to what we have on Snapdragon 765G/ Snapdragon 768G
- Snapdragon 750G can support up to 192MP single sensor, and up to 48MP camera with Multi-frame noise reduction. Slow motion recording caps at 720p@240Hz
- The Adreno 619 GPU promises 10% improvements over Adreno 618 in Snapdragon 730G.
- Snapdragon 750G has an integrated X52 modem that supports 5G mmWave. This isn’t very relevant to India, but should make a difference in markets like the USA.
- Snapdragon 750G supports Qualcomm QuickCharge 4.0+ (no QC 5.0), NavIC, Wi-Fi 6 and Bluetooth 5.1.
- Snapdragon 750G supports Full HD+ resolution displays at up to 120Hz refresh rate and QHD+ at 60Hz
Snapdragon 750G Phones
Snapdragon 750G phones will be available by the end of 2020 and Xiaomi claims to be bringing the first one to the market.
Snapdragon 750G Specs
|Chipset||Qualcomm SM7225 Snapdragon 750G|
|CPU and CPU||2 x Cortex-A77 @2.2GHz (Kryo 570) + 6x Cortex-A55 @1.8GHz|
|Display||Full HD+ – Up to 120Hz |
QHD+ – Up to 60Hz
|RAM||LPDDR4x ( 2 x 16 Bit) @2133MHz|
|AI Throughput (CPU + GPU + DSP + Tensor)||4 TOPS|
|Camera ISP||Spectra 355L|
Up to 192MP single camera
Up to 48MP single camera with Multi-frame noise reduction
Slow motion: 720p@240fps
|Modem||Snapdragon X52 Modem-RF System Dynamic Spectrum Sharing (DSS), mmWave (2X2 MIMO), sub-6 GHz ( 4x 4 MIMO)|
|Wi-Fi/ Bluetooth||FastConnect 6200 Subsystem (Wi-Fi 6 and BT 5.1)|
|Encode/ Decode||10-bit HDR2160p30, 1080p120H.264 & H.265, VP8, VP9|
|Charging||Qualcomm QuickCharge 4+|