OnePlus 5 is now official, but we already had an inkling of what was coming, right?
The rumor mill did bang on and consistent inputs from official sources too kept filling in the blanks. So, before we proceed, here are some quick highlights, followed by OnePlus 5 full specifications. (हिंदी में पढ़ें)
- At 7.25mm thickness, this is the slimmest OnePlus flagship yet, and yes it does have an audio jack
- It will be available in Midnight Black and Slate Gray color options
- The dual camera system has Sony sensors and the extra sensor has telephoto lens for 2x zoom
- The camera also has new algorithms to improve dynamic range, and it can shoot RAW images.
- OnePlus 5 has a new e-ink reader like Reading Mode that’s light on your eyes.
- It’s powered by Snapdragon 835 processor with ample RAM and Storage
- Oxygen OS is based on Nougat and sees several minor improvements
- The 3000mAh battery can charge pretty quick thanks to dash charging.
- There will be a new Otter-box case for OnePlus 5
- OnePlus 5 supports a lot more global careers.
- OnePlus 5 will cost $499 in US and 499 Euros in Europe
OnePlus 5 Specifications and Features
|Display||5.5-Inch, AMOLED Display, Full HD, DCI-P3 Color gamut|
|Processor||2.45GHz octa-core Snapdragon 835, Adreno 306 GPU|
|RAM||6GB/ 8GB LPDDR4x|
|Software||Android 7.1.1. Nougat based Oxygen OS|
|Primary Camera||16MP (f/1.7) + 20MP (f/2.6), 2X Zoom|
|Secondary Camera||16MP with f/2.0 aperture|
|Battery||3300mAh with fast charging|
|Others||4G VoLTE, dual-band WiFi, NFC, Bluetooth 5.0, Fingerprint sensor (home button, ceramic glass), NFC, USB Type-C, Dash charging|
|Expected India Price||Rs. 32,999/ Rs. 37,999|
OnePlus 5 is powered by 2.45GHz Snapdragon 835 octa-core processor and comes in two variants with 64GB and 128GB UFS 2.1 storage, each with more RAM than you shall need. The software is light and fluid Oxygen OS based on Android 7.1.1 Nougat. OnePlus has already confirmed Android O upgrade, even for the 3 and 3T.
The two Sony sensors on the rear – the 20MP(F/2.6) + 16MP(f/1.7) – can be used for 2X optical zoom and or for blurring image background in portrait mode. This is the same implementation as Apple’s. OnePlus has partnered with DxO Mark to tune the camera hardware and software, and that could truly help it break some barriers.
The selfie camera has a 16MP sensor, same as the OnePlus 3T.
The display retains its 5.5-inch size and full HD resolution, but this time around OnePlus is targeting DCI-P3 color gamut, which is a gamut that’s better suited for UltraHD content. Since most content is still in sRGB, and since Android has no native color management, we are not sure how OnePlus will be handling color management for this wider gamut.
Then again, since Android O will have support for wider gamuts in apps, we could see many more developers enabling their respective App content for DCI-P3 by next year. Meanwhile, I am sure OnePlus 5 retains the optional sRGB mode as well.
Other features include dual SIM support, 3300mAh battery, Dash charge support, 4G VoLTE support, dual-band WiFi, and Bluetooth 5.0.
OnePlus 5 Price and Availability
In India, OnePlus will retail exclusively on Amazon starting from June 22. India price is expected to be 32,999 INR for the 6GB RAM variant and 37,999 INR for the 8GB RAM variant. OnePlus will host Pop-up events in the next two days of OnePlus 5 India launch, where fans will be able to have hands-on experience and buy the new flagship killer.
In US and Europe, OnePlus 5 will cost $479 and 499 Euros and will be available starting June 27. Preorders are already open.