It appears as if Samsung’s Galaxy Note 7 smartphone has a new friend in the ‘combustible’ department, after a video of a device, alleged to be Xiaomi’s Redmi Note 4, catching fire and bursting in a Bengaluru shop, went viral on the Internet.
According to Tech Case, the customer, named Arjun, had gone to the shop (Poorvika Mobile Store), as he was having trouble inserting his SIM card into the phone (which he had also bought from the same store a month ago).
— Tech Case (@techcase2017) July 23, 2017
According to the shop’s CCTV footage, the device caught fire as soon the shop owner tried to open up its SIM tray. Luckily, no one was injured in the incident.
The latest update in the case reveals that Xiaomi has had a look into this matter, and has revealed that the probable cause of the phone catching fire was the usage of a third party charger by the customer to charge the device.
— Tech Case (@techcase2017) July 24, 2017
Also, the customer has now been provided a replacement for his phone by the store and seems content with the replacement.
Here’s Xiaomi’s statement on the issue:
At Xiaomi, customer safety is of utmost importance to us. We investigated the Redmi Note 4 in the images, and concluded that it was a case of damage due to a faulty third-party charger used by the customer. Nonetheless we worked with the Poorvika store where the unit was bought, and replaced the customer’s damaged unit with a brand new Redmi Note 4.
However, after a thorough investigation, we cannot validate the source of this video, as it has no relation to this case, and was not from the Poorvika store. In fact, it is unclear if this separate and unrelated incident depicted in the video involved a Xiaomi device.