MIUI 11 has launched on Xiaomi’s big event on September 24 which witnessed the unveiling of Mi 9 Pro and Mi Mix Alpha. Earlier this month, the MIUI 11 beta version 188.8.131.52 had rolled out accidentally which gave us a peek into the new features. Now that the update is official, we have all of its visual cues, features and under the hood optimizations.
But before we cover the new goodies and changelog, here’s a list of devices getting the update.
MIUI 11: Eligible Phones
Please Note: These are Chinese builds void of the Google Play Services or any Google apps. So, you will have to sideload them. Further, the available language options might be limited to Chinese and English.
Find the download link for your Xiaomi device down below:
|Device||Android version||Download link|
|Xiaomi Mi 9||Android 10||Download|
|Xiaomi Redmi K20 Pro||Android 10||Download|
|Xiaomi Mi 6||Android 9||Download|
|Xiaomi Mi MIX 3||Android 9||Download|
|Xiaomi Mi MIX 2S||Android 9||Download|
|Xiaomi Redmi 6A||Android 9||Download|
|Xiaomi Mi 8 SE||Android 9||Download|
|Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro||Android 9||Download|
|Xiaomi Redmi Note 7||Android 9||Download|
|Xiaomi Mi 8 Lite||Android 9||Download|
|Xiaomi Redmi Note 5||Android 9||Download|
|Xiaomi Mi 8||Android 9||Download|
|Xiaomi Mi MIX 2||Android 9||Download|
|Xiaomi Mi 9 SE||Android 9||Download|
|Xiaomi Mi Max 3||Android 9||Download|
|Xiaomi Mi Note 3||Android 9||Download|
|Xiaomi Redmi 6||Android 9||Download|
|Xiaomi Mi Mix 2||Android 9||Download|
|Xiaomi Mi 8 UD||Android 9||Download|
|Xiaomi Redmi 6 Pro||Android 9||Download|
|Xiaomi Mi 8 EE||Android 9||Download|
|Xiaomi Redmi 5A||Android 8.1||Download|
|Xiaomi Mi 5X||Android 8.1||Download|
|Xiaomi Redmi 5 Plus||Android 8.1||Download|
|Xiaomi Redmi 5||Android 8.1||Download|
|Xiaomi Mi 5s||Android 8||Download|
|Xiaomi Mi Note 2||Android 8||Download|
|Xiaomi Mi Mix||Android 8||Download|
|Xiaomi Redmi 4/4X||Android 7.1||Download|
|Xiaomi Mi Max 2||Android 7.1||Download|
|Xiaomi Redmi Note 4/4X||Android 7||Download|
MIUI 11: What’s new?
We will be going through the main design aspects and touch upon the features that are likely to make the final cut. Let’s begin with the new logo –
1. MIUI 11 Logo
Right from the new logo, we get a vibrant vibe of MIUI 11. The tagline reads, “Empowering the productive”. Let’s scroll down to the implied features and improvements.
2. Refreshed UI elements
The icons and the overall UI elements get a rounded look. Another nice addition is the option to customize the notch area, a feature which is borrowed from other Android skins like Oxygen OS.
ALSO READ: OnePlus 7 Pro Android 10 Quick Review
3. New Animations
There’s nothing to comment as they are apparent to your eyes.
4. App Drawer
Finally, MIUI gets an app drawer, something we believe the fans would appreciate. For a long time, Xiaomi phones traditionally housed the icons on the home screen. This spoiled the whole home screen landscape for some users. Starting MIUI 11, you should be able to access the apps organized alphabetically in a drawer by a simple swipe up. There is a dedicated recent apps panel above the “All Apps” section.
Additionally, the long-press menu on the desktop would include a Share and application cloning option.
5. Dark Mode Scheduling
The Dark Mode on MIUI 11 gets a scheduling option wherein the phone will turn on dark mode automatically based on preset times.
6. AOD Kaleidoscope
The Always-on Display adds Kaleidoscope style designs, live animations, and edge lighting options. From the leaked screenshots, you could see the means to tweak the clock text, color, font, position, etc.
7. Revamped Apps
With the MIUI 11 update, the native apps also undergo a visual overhaul. Here are some examples –
- File Manager
- Mi Browser
- Calculator (w/ PIP Mode)
Besides these, several other key MIUI apps like Messages, Calendar, Mi Cloud, etc also herald new looks and features.
8. Battery Stats and Ultra Power Saving Mode
The battery stats present a new MilliAmp option to view the usage analysis, which exhibits the data in milliamperes per hour.
Another handy tool would be the new Ultra Power Saving mode. A feature, found in Samsung phones is set to make its way to MIUI 11 on Xiaomi phones. This is crammed within the Mi Security app.
Once activated, you’ll have a black screen with a very few selected apps at your disposal. This should prove a saving grace in squeezing more battery life.
9. Screen Cast
Cast lets you share your phone screen to any external monitor. It is augmented by the Demo feature, which lets you cast documents, photos, videos, games, etc. You can minimize the casting window and use it even while the phone display is off. You can access the Game casting option whilst playing games within the Gamer Turbo.
10. No Ads
MIUI experience general manager @MIUI Xiaofan disclosed the brand-new one-click Ad toggle button. Turning on this manually disables the ads across the board. This is indeed a long-awaited solution to the MIUI ROM which was infamous for its intrusive ads sprawling throughout the interface.
As mentioned in the introduction, many of these features are already under testing in the MIUI 10 beta. Here’s a quick run down the changelog:
- Attention – Empowering the productive
- Comprehensive design optimized for fullscreen display devices
- Removing visual clutter, improving touch controls, and refining the use of color allowed us to create a system where nothing stands between you and the content.
- Beauty starts with the text. Our fonts matured.
- Now text looks gorgeous in all languages.
- Now, font-weight can be adjusted automatically depending on the text.
- Ambient display
- The ambient display now comes with gorgeous dynamic themes.
- Essential information is displayed on your screen 24/7.
- Personalize your device with a unique signature.
- Keep your screen alive with our amazing special effects.
- Sounds of nature
- Wake up to the gentle sounds of nature with our new alarm ringtones.
- Notification sounds won’t make you tired. Now, they keep changing dynamically, just like nature does.
- Mi Share
- Transfer files from phone to phone at breakneck speeds.
- Mi Share works both on phones and computers.
- Preview your documents before you open them.
- Stay productive and efficient with our all-new Mi Doc Viewer.
- MIUI allows you to cast videos, games, documents, and apps to more than 300 TV models directly from your phone.
- MIUI’s casting functionality allows you to hide personal items to keep all sensitive things private.
- Print photos and files directly from your phone without installing any additional apps
- Plan your trips with MIUI: add your flight or train tickets, learn about the weather at your destination, get local mobile data, view the currency exchange rates, or contact your consulate abroad.
- Ultra battery saver
- Use this feature to challenge your device to a whole day on just 5% of the battery.
- More features
- Tasks. Manage and edit your tasks in the Notes app. Receive timely notifications and mark things done.
- Kid space. Create a safe digital environment for your kids.
- Family guard. Control connected devices to help your friends and family.
- Screen time. View stats and manage your time more efficiently.
- Emergency SOS. Rapidly press the Power button 5 times to send an SOS message to your emergency contacts.
- Earthquake warnings. Stay safe and informed in case of an earthquake.
- Quick replies. Reply to messages from any app.
- Themes. Lots of free resources to make your device truly unique.
- Mi Community. Get the latest news from Xiaomi, test new features, and participate in our events.
- Autofill passwords. Store passwords on your device and use them whenever you need them.
- Calendar. All your events in one place.
- Mi AI 3.0. All-new. Much more powerful.
- Security. Safeguard and optimize your device.
- Game Turbo. Turn your device into an ultimate gaming console.
And as for the update, how do you feel about it? Tell us about your MIUI experience down in the comments.
Sources: miui.net, techindeep.com, XDADevelopers and Telegram community