Three years since the first Mi Mix, Xiaomi has today announced a new 5G concept phone with a breathtaking 180% screen. This is christened as Mi Mix Alpha, which sports a Wraparound 4D surround display. While the market is torn between the notch and notch-free displays, the Mi Mix Alpha makes more interesting.
Other things included in the mix (pun intended) are a 108MP camera and Snapdragon 855+ chipset. So, there’s a lot of things to wrap your head around. Let’s go over them one by one.
Xiaomi Mi Mix Alpha Surround Screen Nothing Short of Surreal
Starting with the most apparent aspect – Dem displays! It has a 7.92-inch flexible OLED panel with 2088×2250 resolution. The display like its name wraps around resulting in bezel-free sides. It features an in-display fingerprint solution too. At the back, there is a black strip housing the rear cameras.
So, on the imaging front, the primary camera is a 108-megapixel HMX sensor from Samsung, which employs pixel binning to out 27MP shots. It is followed by a 20-megapixel wide-angle snapper and a 12-megapixel telephoto lens. You can flip the phone and use the rear glass as the viewfinder for selfies.
Here’s why you shouldn’t be too excited
Although all of these looks futuristic, there are still some inhibitions around the new display application:
- For starters, the phone case manufacturers will have a hard time making covers for this surround screen.
- Xiaomi claims to have mastered a palm rejection mechanism. That said, lack of a case might result in smudges, scratches, and damages. So, durability is a big looming question for sure!
- Coming from displays of OnePlus 7 Pro, we also expect some content scaling issues on this folding edges.
- It’s a no-brainer that such a large display would suck a lot of juice.
- Lastly, due to a bigger and conspicuous visual footprint, any bystander will have a better view of what you see on your phone.
That’s all the pet peeves we have for now (and we are not even talking about the exorbitant price and no foreseeable commercial release). Let’s see how Xiaomi addresses these concerns.
Xiaomi Mi Mix Alpha Specifications
Xiaomi has crafted this using a single piece of sapphire glass with ceramics and aerospace-grade titanium alloy. Under the hood, it runs on Qualcomm’s latest Snapdragon 855 Plus chipset, aided by 5G connectivity, 12GB of RAM, and 512GB of storage. It is powered by a 4,050mAh battery that can be refilled using a 40W wired fast-charger.
It weighs about 241 grams and is 154.38×72.3×10.4mm in dimensions. You get Android Pie based MIUI 11, Wi-Fi 802.11ac, Bluetooth 5.0, and GPS with it.
Xiaomi Mi Mix Alpha Pricing and Availability
As already mentioned, the Mi Mix Alpha will be a concept phone and Xiaomi has no plans for mass production. And as for availability, it will be on sale starting December priced at 19,999 yuan, or about Rs. 1,99,665 INR.