Apple’s biggest annual event just went live. The Cupertino giant announced three new iPhones – iPhone Xs, iPhone Xs Max, and iPhone XR – along with the new Apple Watch Series 4 and laid out a vision of what else you should expect in the year ahead. Let’s take a look at everything important Apple talked about at its September 12 iPhone launch event.
The all-new iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR and Apple Watch Series 4 are here. #AppleEvent
— Apple (@Apple) September 12, 2018
1. Apple Watch Series 4
Apple kickstarted the mega event with the new Apple watch. The new watch improves upon its three cores: Connectivity, Fitness, and health. Apple has also redesigned the way these watches look and work. The displays are now 32 percent larger and a bit more curved. The OS has also been redesigned to work well with the bigger screens.
The new Apple Watch will now look in the background and alert users of elevated heartbeat, can take ECG in 30 seconds, will show upcoming itinerary details, and comes with a few new dynamic watch faces.
- Displays are larger, more rounded at the edges.
- The crown has been redesigned and now has haptic feedback
- There are a few new cool dynamic watch faces – water, vapor, fire.
- The speaker is now 50 percent louder, the microphone has been moved as far away from the speaker as possible for better call clarity.
- The back is made of black ceramic and sapphire crystal
- The dual-core S4 chipset humming inside makes new Apple watch 2X faster compared to series-3 watch
- The new gyroscope and accelerometer are faster and can record data faster to improve tracking.
- After you fall, the Apple Watch series 4 will deliver an alert. If there is no motion, it will make an emergency call.
- The Apple watch will be able to detect irregularities in your heart rhythm, heart rate and even take your ECG (just place your finger on the crown for 30 seconds). You can also share all these details with a doctor. The heart rate features will be first available in the US.
- The Apple watch series 4 will have an 18-hour full day battery life.
Apple watch Series 4 price and availability
Apple Watch Series 4 will be available in 3 aluminum finishes – Silver, gold and space gray. There’s also stainless steel in polished and space gray. Gold stainless is a new finish. A few other bands will also be available.
Apple watch series 4 price starts at $399 for GPS, $499 for cellular. Series 3 will now cost $279. India won’t be getting it in the first wave.
2. iPhone Xs and iPhone Xs Max
iPhone Xs and iPhone Xs Max come in three finishes and are now IP68 water and dust resistant certified (up from IP67 certified). The new iPhones switch to a 7nm chipset, A12 Bionic, and the focus this generation is the powerful NPU that enables real-time machine learning used in improving portrait mode.
Expect heavily improved AR games in the next year.
- 5.8-inch AMOLED display(2436 x 1125), 120hz, 60-percent greater dynamic range than iPhone X, 3D touch, HDR 10, Dolby vision.
- iPhone XS Max has larger 6.5-inch AMOLED display with all the same goodness.
- The new iPhones are powered by 7nm A12 Bionic chipset. The new chip has 6-core (2+ 4) CPU chip, 6-core GPU, and a new 8-core NPU (up from 2-core in A11 Bionic).
- Apps will launch 30 percent faster, suggestions will get better, and the real-time machine learning will make portrait mode better. The 9X faster machine learning will be accompanied by a significant reduction in power consumption (one tenth).
- AR is getting bigger and better on iOS. You can now use AR Quick look to pop objects from Safari in the real world!
- Rear Camera: 12MP wide angle + 12MP telephoto lens camera on the rear. There is improved true tone flash, OIS. NPU now works with ISP for better photos.
- Front camera: 7MP camera for selfies that’s twice as fast. Takes portrait using IR laser of Face ID.
- Camera highlights include 2X faster sensors, Smart HDR, Zero shutter lag, adjustable portrait mode, and 4 microphones for recording directional audio.
iPhone XS battery lasts 30 minutes longer than iPhone X. And iPhone XS Max lasts an hour and a half longer than iPhone X.
- New iPhones have a wider range stereo speakers.
- Face ID is faster, more secure.
- iPhone Xs and Xs Max get Dual SIM support in China. Around the world, there will be an eSIM + normal SIM tray.
Apple iPhone Xs and Xs Max Price and Availability
iPhone XS (64GB/256GB/512GB) starts at $999. iPhone XS Max (64GB/256GB/512GB) starts at $1099 start. iPhone Xs and Xs Max are coming to India on September 28. India price (MRP) starts at Rs. 99,900 and Rs 109,900, respectively.
3. Apple iPhone XR
Apple iPhone XR is made of Aluminum and glass and will be available in multiple colors. This is also an iPhone with Android phones like chin.
The iPhone XR is a relatively low-cost model but it still gets most of the new cool features announced for the iPhone Xs and Xs Max including the new A12 Bionic, Smart HDR, and the same Face ID.
- The iPhone XR has a 6.1-inch IPS LCD liquid retina display with 1792 x 828-pixel display.
- Instead of 3D touch, iPhone XR will have haptic touch similar trackpad in Macbook
- This one too is powered by 7nm A12 Bionic chip
- It has the same face ID as iPhone Xs and Xs Max
- It has a single camera system on the rear, with OIS and new improved true tone flash.
- Just like Pixel 2 phones, iPhone XR can shoot bokeh portrait shots with the single camera. It also gets Smart HDR too.
iPhone XR Price and Availability
iPhone XR will come in 6 colors and 3 configurations (64GB, 128GB, 256GB) with price starting at $749. Pre-order starts from September 19 onwards.
4. Apple aims to eliminate mining new materials
All apple facilities run on 100-percent renewable energy. The next challenge Apple has accepted towards sustainable development is to use recycled materials in iPhones. The tin used in circuit boards of new iPhones will be recycled one. Speaker enclosure is made of 32 percent recycled plastic. And the cover glass frame is made with 32% bio-based plastic.
Apple also announced a giveback program, where users can give in their old iPhones for recycling or reuse.
5. New HomePod, TV OS, and MacOS Mojave Updates
Apple’s HomePod will get AirPlay 2 that will enable it to go multiroom. The Home Pod will also be able to search for songs by lyrics, make and receive calls, and find devices lying around your home.
TV OS will get Dolby Atmos 4K support in the next update that will start rolling out alongside HomePod update on Monday. MacOS Mojave will get its next big update on September 24.
Also Check: Samsung Galaxy Note9 Review
Recap: 5 Key Highlights of Apple iPhone Launch Event
This pretty much sums up everything important Apple talked about at 2018 iPhone launch event. The new iPhones are the veritable showstopper and we are quite excited to know what the next generation flagship cameras will be like!