With over 1.5 billion monthly active users worldwide, Whatsapp is the most popular messaging application out there. Yet, the Facebook-owned company is like a sloth when it comes to rolling new features. The dark mode is one of the highly desired updates, amongst many. And it’s finally here, although just in the beta version.
Yes, WhatsApp beta for Android version 2.20.13 embraces dark mode. It’s known to be in the pipeline for God knows how long. Even though it’s currently under beta, soon both the Android and iOS variants could get the Dark mode just like Youtube and Twitter.
So, in case you don’t wanna wait till the stable update, here’s the way to ebonize your favorite instant-messaging app.
How to activate Whatsapp dark mode on Android
Kindly shadow the following steps and you’ll get a dark theme on Whatsapp:
- Download the latest beta version from Apkmirror and install/overwrite it on the currently installed app. Or else if you’re beta tester already, just update it from Google Play Store.
2. Open the WhatsApp and go to its Settings -> Chats -> Theme -> Pick the Dark color. This will activate the new dark dye.
3. If you’re on Android 10, then the ‘System default’ option will ape the native theme and accordingly switch between light or dark mode.
4. Lastly, there is a ‘Set by Battery Saver’ toggle which will change to light or dark theme depending upon the device’s battery saver settings.
Voila, this activates the dark theme for WhatsApp on Android. iOS users should also get it this year. The company is reportedly developing two iterations to meet the iPhone Accessibility Settings. So, if that’s true, you would get – one with really dark colors and the other one with a softer palette. Let’s see.
For now, iPhone users can use a quick hack to work around the crave for a dark theme.
How to activate WhatsApp dark mode on iPhone
Please note that this is a software workaround that would stop working with the latest iOS 13 update unveiled recently at WWDC 2019. Nevertheless, if your iPhone is running iOS 11 or newer, then follow these steps to easily enable dark theme on Whatsapp.
1) Go to Settings -> General -> Accessibility -> Display -> Accommodations -> Invert Colors -> Smart Invert.
2) This would invert color across the device interface including Whatsapp application.
3) As a final touch, simply change the wallpaper of your WhatsApp chat window to experience dark mode in and out.
The dark hue will be easier on your eyes, especially under dim lit conditions. I hope this article proved helpful to get this long-awaited feature.