With over 1.5 billion monthly active users worldwide, Whatsapp is the most popular messaging application out there. Yet, the Facebook-owned company is like a sloth when it comes to rolling new features. The dark mode is one of the highly desired updates, amongst many.
Yes, soon both the Android and iOS variants could get the Dark mode just like Youtube and Twitter. WABetaInfo, a reputed source for Whatsapp update details did unfurl the code for Dark theme within the 2.19.82 beta version itself. Too bad, it is disabled by default for now.
Fret not, here’s a quick hack to ebonize your favorite instant-messaging app. The only caveat is that it works on Android Q only. We tested on Whatsapp in our Pixel 3a XL and it worked like a charm.
How to activate Whatsapp dark mode on Android
If you have a device running on Android Q, please shadow the following steps and you’ll get a dark theme on Whatsapp:
1) Go to your phone’s Settings -> Display -> Select Theme -> Dark. This will activate the new native dark theme available with Android Q.
2) Next up, we will turn on developer options from the device settings. Proceed to Settings -> About Phone. Here, scroll down to ‘Build Number’ and tap on it few times till you see a pop-up message saying “Developer Options” is turned on.
3) Now in the Developer Options, enable ‘Override force-dark’. This will force Whatsapp to switch its theme to a dark color.
4) Voila, this activates the dark theme for WhatsApp on Android Q. All you need to do now is to use a dark wallpaper as a background and that’s it.
How to activate WhatsApp dark mode on iPhone
Please note that this is a software workaround that would stop working with the latest iOS 13 update unveiled recently at WWDC 2019. Nevertheless, if your iPhone is running iOS 11 or newer, then follow these steps to easily enable dark theme on Whatsapp.
1) Go to Settings -> General -> Accessibility -> Display -> Accommodations -> Invert Colors -> Smart Invert.
2) This would invert color across the device interface including Whatsapp application.
3) As a final touch, simply change the wallpaper of your WhatsApp chat window to experience dark mode in and out.
Hope this article proved helpful to get a long-awaited feature. This could be a nice hack to have and you would find it would be easy on your eyes, especially under dim lit conditions. That said, you could also wait till Whatsapp officially releases the native dark theme for all the devices.