OnePlus was one of the first few brands to announce Android Oreo updates for its phone launched in 2016 (OnePlus 3 review and onePlus 3T) and 2017 (OnePlus 5 review). Sometime back it announced that Oreo Open beta program will be made available to OnePlus 3 and OnePlus 3T users who don’t mind testing it before the stable rollout.
With this OnePlus became the first company (apart from Google) to update its existing phone to Android Oreo. OxygenOS customization options on Android Oreo makes it really exciting for users. It supports Oreo features such as new auto-fill, feature picture-in-picture for supporting apps like YouTube and Maps and updated security patch to September.
Here is the official changelog of Android 8.0 Oreo-based Oxygen OS Open Beta:
- Update to Android 8.0 Oreo
- Updated security patch to September
- Added Picture in Picture
- Added Auto-fill
- Added Smart text selection
- New Quick Settings design
- Added notification dots in the launcher
- Added OnePlus account login for access to Shot on OnePlus
- Now able to upload photos directly to Shot on OnePlus through wallpapers
Like all beta versions, it too have few issues with the OnePlus 3 and OnePlus 3T Android Oreo Open Beta as well. Following are the Issues which are acknowledged by the company and chances are that you might find few more.
- Fingerprint actions may be slower than you are used to.
- Shortcut to access Google Photos is unavailable
- Some stability issues with NFC and Bluetooth
- Performance and compatibility of 3rd party apps will continue to be optimized
Download OnePlus 3T OxygenOS Android 8.0 Oreo Open Beta: Direct Download Link
Download OnePlus 3 OxygenOS Android 8.0 Oreo Open Beta: Direct Download Link
Here’s how you can Install OxygenOS Android 8.0 Oreo Open Beta on OnePlus 3/3T:
Before you start update process we would like to remind that you are upgrading to the public beta and doing at your own risk.
First Method: Sideload / Flash Method
(Make sure you have all necessary adb files installed on your computer.)
- Download the software build for your device at the bottom of this page.
- Enter into “recovery mode”. To do so, switch-off your phone first; then press and hold power and volume down buttons together.
- Select “Install from USB” option in the ‘recovery mode’. Tap OK to confirm. A screen with “You are in sideload mode” will be displayed.
- Connect your device to PC/Mac, run following command in command prompt: “adb sideload <filename>”
- Wait a while, your phone should now update to the selected build and reboot automatically to new OxygenOS.
Second Method: Install from Internal Storage
- Turn off your smartphone. Once it is completely off press Power button and volume down button together and wait for few seconds till it boots into Recovery.
- OnePlus official recovery supports touch-enabled therefore select English with a tap.
- Now select the first option- install from internal storage,.
- Select the folder which contains OxygenOS beta file (in general, by default it is downloaded in the Download folder).
- Tap on Oxygen OS file and confirm the install package option by selecting yes.
- The update installation process will take 5-10 mins.
- Once the installation is completed, reboot the device.
- The first reboot will take some time, do not panic.
Install OxygenOS Android 8.0 Oreo Open Beta on OnePlus 3/3T
Before you install OxygenOS Android 8.0 Oreo Open Beta on your OnePlus 3 or OnePlus 3T we strongly advise you to back up all your important files. If you have any questions related to Oxygen OS or OnePlus 3/3T post them in comments below.