Qualcomm has announced key details of its next flagship 800 series chipset, the Snapdragon 888, that will power most 2021 flagships at its annual Snapdragon Tech Summit.
Realme, Xiaomi, and Oppo were quick to announce that they will be racing to bring Snapdragon 888 to market. Qualcomm’s slide listing partners had 14 OEMs with Samsung being the glaring omission. It’s quite possible that the South-Korean behemoth could be switching to all Exynos flagships next year.
Qualcomm Snapdragon 888 Highlights
- The shift to 5nm process node and the integrated X60 modem help bring in 25% improvement in battery efficiency.
- Snapdragon 888 is 25% faster than Snapdragon 865 that it succeeds while being 25% power efficient
- Snapdragon 888 employs Cortex-X1 core prime core clocked at 2.84Ghz with double L1, L2 cache that can execute 33% more instructions per cycle. Other clusters include (3x) Cortex-A78 cores and (4x) Cortex-A55 cores.
- Adreno 660 GPU is 35% faster and 20% power efficient. It supports 10-bit HDR and sub-pixel rendering.
- Adreno 660 gets Variable Rate Shading support like recent GPUs. VRS allows shaders to work on rendering multiple pixels at a time without notable loss in quality. Game quick touch feature can reduce game latency by a significant 20%
- Snapdragon 888 has Spectra 580 with triple-ISP and thus three camera streams can be processed simultaneously. It can also process 10-bit HDR photos in HEIF and enable cameras to shoot 120 12-megapixel images in a second.
- AI processing gets a big boost. With the redesigned Hexagon DSP, Snapdragon 888 can deliver 26 TOPS as compared to 15 TOPS on Snapdragon 865
- Snapdragon X60 modem is integrated on the die. Snapdragon 888 also gets Wi-Fi 6E support. Bluetooth 5.2 with dual antennas is also supported.
- Snapdragon 888 supports QuickCharge 5.0 which supports up to 100W charging and is compatible with USB PD 4.0.
Snapdragon 888 Phones
Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 888 will be adopted by all major Android manufacturers next year. Many have already confirmed upcoming phones with the SoC.
Realme was the first to launch Snapdragon 865 powered 5G phone in India and the brand will try to bring Snapdragon 888-powered Race first to India. Realme Race specifications haven’t been revealed, but the company says their next flagship
will have “limitless possibilities for gaming, video and communication capabilities.”
Xiaomi Mi 11
Xiaomi co-founder and CEO Lei Jun announced that its next premium 5G flagship Mi 11 will be bringing Snapdragon 888 to market ‘very soon’. Lei Jun refrained from adding any more specs details, but rumors have it that Mi 11 will run Android 11 out of the box, have 6GB RAM, and use a 48MP resolution camera.
Oppo Find X3
Oppo Find X3 with Snapdragon 888 octa-core chipset will launch in Q1 2021. The X3 series will also include system-wide support for 10-bit colors and a new color management system that Oppo detailed at its Inno Day 2020.
Phones with Qualcomm Snapdragon 888 in India
Apart from phones listed above, other partner OEMs including Asus, Motorola, LG, Vivo, and OnePlus will also be revealing Snapdragon 888 flagships in 2021.