Sony phones haven’t been selling well, but it still remains a pioneer when it comes to smartphone technology. This year, Sony launched two new Xperia phones at MWC 2018 – the Xperia XZ2 and Xperia XZ2 Compact – and the focus is mainly on multimedia and camera experience.
If you are interested in tech, new Sony phones offer a lot to drool over
Sony Xperia XZ2 and XZ2 compact key highlights
- The new Sony phones have a partially redeeming design. The bezels have been slashed, there is glass on front and back, and metal running around the edges. Both phones are IP68 water resistant certified too.
- The fingerprint sensor is present on the rear. And it shall be there for everyone in all markets.
- Sony has eliminated 3.5mm audio jack on both phones.
- Feature set isn’t exactly same on both models, though. The smaller XZ2 compact has a plastic back cover, and doesn’t support wireless charging. The new Dynamic Vibration System is missing too.
- You get dual front-facing speakers on both phones. The Dynamic Vibration System analysis audio data and add subtle vibrations accordingly while you are playing a movie.
- Both phones have Full HD+ HDR screens and are powered by, the best in business, Snapdragon 845.
- These are also first set of phones that support 4K HDR video recording.
- You can now record 960fps slow-motion videos in Full HD. In comparison, the Galaxy S9 Slo-mo videos have HD resolution.
- Sony’s 3D face matching feature will now be available for front camera and will serve as an answer to AR Emojis and animojis.
Sony Xperia XZ2 compact and Xperia XZ2: Features, price, and availability
Sony Xperia XZ2 compact has a 5-inch screen (18:9) and the Xperia XZ2 comes with a bigger 5.7-inch panel (18:9). Other than that, the hardware is almost similar. The XZ2 has Gorilla Glass 5 on front and rear.
Both phones are powered by Snapdragon 845 chipset with 4GB RAM and 64GB storage. You can also add up to 400GB of SD card support.
You can record and play 4K HDR videos on both Xperia XZ2 phones. The rear camera has a 19MP sensor and can record 960p videos in Full HD resolution. The front selfie camera has a 5MP sensor paired with f/2.2 aperture lens.
The battery capacity (3180mAh, 2870mAh) doesn’t look like much, but Sony refraining from resolution excess this generation(no 4K screens this time) and improved power efficiency of Snapdragon 845 could help extend mileage beyond the expected.
Sony hasn’t revealed any info related to price or availability of Xperia XZ2 and Xperia XZ2 Compact.
Sony Xperia XZ2 and XZ2 Compact full specifications
|Model||Sony Xperia XZ2||Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact|
|Display||5.7-Inch, Full HD+, HDR 18:9, Gorilla Glass 5||5.5-Inch, Full HD+, HDR 18:9, Gorilla Glass 5|
|Processor||octa-core Snapdragon 845, Adreno 630 GPU||octa-core Snapdragon 845, Adreno 630 GPU|
|Internal Storage||64GB, expandable up to 400GB||64GB, expandable up to 400GB|
|Software||Android 8.0 Oreo||Android 8.0 Oreo|
|Rear Camera||19MP, 5-axis stabilization, 960fps full HD slow-motion videos, 4K HDR video recording||19MP, 5-axis stabilization, 960fps full HD slow-motion videos, 4K HDR video recording|
|Selfie Camera||5MP, f/2.2||5MP, f/2.2|
|Dimensions and Weight||153 x 72 x 11.1 mm; 198 grams||135 x 65 x 12.1 mm; 168 grams|
|Others||IP65/IP68 water resistant, stereo speaker S-Force front surround sound, Bluetooth 5.0, rear-facing fingerprint sensor, Quick Charge 3.0, Type-C port||IP65/IP68 water resistant, stereo speaker S-Force front surround sound, Bluetooth 5.0, rear-facing fingerprint sensor, Quick Charge 3.0, Type-C port|
|Price||To be announced||To be announced|