After a barrage of leaks and rumors, Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9+ are now official. The South Korean giant unpacked the 2018 flagships at an event in Barcelona today. The much awaited Galaxy S9 and S9+ duo bring incremental improvements over previous Galaxy series devices.
Samsung Galaxy S9/S9+ Highlights
- In terms of design, the Galaxy S9/S9+ aren’t very different from from Galaxy S8/S8+ save for the new and improved fingerprint sensor location.
- Galaxy S9/S9+ are a wee-bit more compact. They retain IP68 dust and water resistance, Gorilla Glass 5 protection, and Aluminum side frame.
- Both phones will be available in Lilac Purple, Midnight Black, Titanium Grey, and Coral Blue for $719.99 and $839.99, respectively.
- The major differentiator is the ‘Reimagined camera’. Samsung adds 960 fps super slow motion recording, dual aperture (f/1.5 and f/2.4) for daylight and lowlight shots, and AR emojis.
- The dual camera (second shooter with a telephoto lens) is reserved for S9+. The 6GB RAM option too.
- AR emojis is Samsung’s take on Apple’s Animojis. You can share AR emojis across regular apps like WhatsApp and Facebook messenger which makes them a tad more useful.
- At the hardware helm, there is Snapdragon 845 or Exynos 9810 depending on the market
- The software is Android 8.0 Oreo-based. Bixby is now smarter and can recognize more stuff, do live translations, and more.
- Samsung says the Galaxy S9/S9+ have the loudest and most immersive stereo speakers compared to any other Galaxy phone. These are tuned by AKG.
- Both phones support fast wireless charging.
Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9+ Features
The Galaxy S9 and S9 Plus aesthetics are exactly the same as what we saw in the previous leaks that we reported. Talking about the design, both these phones look exactly the same as the Galaxy S8 and S8+ on a passing glance. They have the same curved-edged 18.5:9 display and glass on both front and backs. Although the phone appears almost identical to predecessors, they are different in dimensions and weight. So you have to invest in a new case for your new Galaxy S9 or S9 Plus. Samsung has been relocated from camera’s side to right underneath the camera module.
The most talked about feature of the new S9 and S9 Plus are their cameras. While the regular Galaxy S9 gets a Single lens while the S9 Plus comes with a dual camera setup. The S9 and S9+ come with dual aperture camera system with variable aperture – f/1.5 to f/2.4. The f/1.5 means brighter image and f/2.4 means less exposed image. The default camera can automatically adjust aperture and in manual mode it lets you tinker with it. Apart from an adjustable aperture, the S9 duo also comes with second-generation dual-pixel autofocus which now offers improved focusing in a jiffy. It also has much better noise reduction capabilities.
As reported earlier, the Galaxy S9 and S9+ have the ability to shoot slo-mo videos at 960 frames per second at 720 pixel HD resolution. Samsung has also made changes in Camera App UI and made it more user-friendly. The Galaxy S9+ secondary camera in its dual setup is a telephoto lens like the Galaxy Note 8 for 2X Zoom and live focus. Both devices come with an 8-megapixel selfie camera with f/1.7 aperture selfie camera.
To Take on Apple’s Animoji, Samsung came out with its AR Emoji. For this feature, the new Galaxy S9 duo scans your face and builds a custom 3D character of yours. It can create 18 animated GIFs which can be used in messaging apps.
The Galaxy S9 and S9+ features stereo speakers. The earpiece and bottom speaker firing together. They are tuned by Samsung’s arm Harman and comes with Dolby Atmos surround sound support for a 360-degree sound effect. Samsung continues to offer a headphone jack in its flagship devices.
Hardware and Software
The Galaxy S9 and S9+ both are powered by Snapdragon 845 chipset for US and Exynos 9910 for rest of the world. The S9 comes with 4GB RAM while the S9+ get 6Gigs RAM and both starts with a 64GB storage option. They come running on Android 8.0 Oreo-based Experience UI out of the box. Samsung has made few changes in Bixby app also.
Like their predecessors, they also get the same IP68 water and dust resistance. The Galaxy S9 packs a 3,000mAh while the S9+gets a 3,500mAh. Both of them supports fast wireless charging. Samsung offers these devices in Midnight Black, Titanium Gray, Coral Blue and Lilac Purple colors options.
Samsung Galaxy S9 Price and Release Date
- The Samsung Galaxy S9 launch Price in the US starts at $719.99 which is about Rs. 46590 approx.
- The Galaxy S9 Plus launch price in the US starts from $839.99 which roughly translate to Rs 54350 approx.
- Both devices will be available starting from March 16, 2018.
- The Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9+ pre-booking has started in India.
Samsung Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9+ specifications
- S9 – 5.8-inch Quad HD+ (2960 × 1440 pixels) Super AMOLED Infinity display with 570ppi, Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection
- S9+ – 6.2-inch Quad HD+ (2960 × 1440 pixels) Super AMOLED Infinity display with 529ppi, Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection
- Octa-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 with Adreno 630 GPU / Octa-Core Samsung Exynos 9 Series 9810 processor with Mali G72MP18 GPU
- S9 – 4GB LPDDR4x RAM with 64GB/128GB/256GB storage (UFS 2.1), expandable memory with microSD
- S9+ – 6GB LPDDR4x RAM with 64GB/128GB/256GB storage (UFS 2.1), expandable memory up to 400GB with microSD
- Android 8.0 (Oreo)
- Single / Hybrid Dual SIM (nano + nano / microSD)
- S9 – 12MP Dual Pixel rear camera with LED Flash, f/2.4-f/1.5 variable aperture, 480fps super slo-mo
- S9+ – 12MP primary rear camera with f/2.4-f/1.5 variable aperture, LED Flash, 960fps super slo-mo, 12MP secondary rear camera with f/2.4 aperture
- 8MP autofocus front-facing camera with wide-angle lens, f/1.7 aperture
- Water and dust resistant (IP68)
- Stereo speakers tuned by AKG, Dolby Atmos
- Sensors – Accelerometer, Barometer, Fingerprint Sensor, Gyro Sensor, Geomagnetic Sensor, Hall Sensor, Heart Rate Sensor, Proximity Sensor, RGB Light Sensor, Iris Sensor, Pressure Sensor
- 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11ac (2.4/5GHz), VHT80 MU-MIMO, Bluetooth 5 (LE up to 2Mbps), GPS with GLONASS, USB 3.1, NFC, MST
- S9 – 3000mAh battery with fast Charging both on wired and wireless (WPC and PMA) charging
- S9+ – 3500mAh battery with fast Charging both on wired and wireless (WPC and PMA) charging