Apple Special Event 2019 kicked off with a familiar introductory note from Tim Cook. The keynote stage was set at the Steve Jobs Theater in Cupertino, California. Apple unveiled three new iPhones – the iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max, along with Apple Watch 5 and 7th gen iPad. We also got pricing and availability details on the Apple TV+, and Apple Arcade.
So, without any further ado, let’s glance over everything Apple announced at the event (Updated with India Pricing).
Apple Arcade and Apple TV+ pricing revealed
- They began with the Apple Arcade.
- Now, there is a new Arcade tab in the App Store, wherein you could explore new game recommendations, trailers, and curated content such as game guides and teasers.
- Apple Arcade will be out from September 19th in over 150 countries at a price of $4.99/ month with a free one month trial and 100 games, to begin with.
- Next up, they took the veil off the Apple TV+, which will begin at a price tag of $4.99/month in over 100 countries at launch. New purchases are bundled with a free 1-year subscription.
Now, let’s get down to the main attractions of the event.
Apple iPad (7th Gen)
- The new 7th gen iPad was next to take the stage.
- It sports a 10.2-inch Retina IPS display with 2160×1620 resolution.
- It runs on an A10 Fusion chip teamed with 32/128GB storage, a 32Whr battery. You get the iPad OS on top of this hardware combination.
- The feature list includes a Smart Connector to dock a full-size smart keyboard, external drive support, an 8MP rear camera, 1.2MP front camera, gigabit LTE connectivity, stereo speakers, amongst many other things.
- The Apple iPad (7th gen) carries a price tag of $329 (Rs. 29,900 in India) for the base 32GB w/WiFi model, $459 (Rs. 40,990) for the base WiFi +cellular model, $299 (loosely translates to Rs. 21,500) for the education customers. They are available for order, while the shipping will commence by September 30.
Apple Watch 5
- Apple Watch 5 is here with a 40/44mm Always-On Retina display, with auto-brightness and dynamic refresh rate (from 60Hz to as low as 1Hz), which should help in saving some juice. Speaking of which, it boasts an 18-hour battery life.
- It ships with a 64-bit dual-core S5 processor roomed with 32GB of onboard storage.
- It flaunts new watch faces, a compass, an international emergency calling feature in over 150 countries across the globe.
- It will be out in multiple metal builds like aluminum (in silver, gold, space gray colors), Stainless Steel (in gold, space black, and silver), and a new white ceramic model. There will be a special Nike and Hermes edition as well.
- As for the pricing, Series 5 will cost around $399 (Rs. 40,900) for the GPS variant and $499 (Rs. 49,900) for the GPS + Cellular model. They are out for order now and the shipping will start from September 20th.
Apple iPhone 11
- As rumored, three new iPhones were launched, starting off with the iPhone 11. It marks a successor to the iPhone XR.
- It has an all-glass body wherein even the new camera square panel is part of the glass.
- Upfront, you get a 6.11-inch Liquid Retina (LCD) display. It comes with spatial audio feature and Dolby Atmos support.
- Coming to the cameras, the iPhone 11 wields a dual-camera setup comprising of a 12MP primary sensor (wide, 26mm f/1.8) and a 12MP ultra-wide shooter (f/2.4, 120-degree FoV, 2x optical zoom). Apple punctuates several new features like – “semantic rendering” which brightens the photos based on subject, “Multiscale tone mapping” that manage the highlights based on the environment, a portrait mode that works even on pets, and a dedicated night mode.
- As for videography, the iPhone 11 is capable of 4K recording at 60 fps, coupled with toppings like slow-mo, time-lapse, and new extended dynamic range mode.
- The Selfie snapper is also a 12MP TrueDepth sensor, which when rotated in landscape form, captures a wide-angle shot. This one is also adept in 4K60 and slow-mo video recording (christened Slofies) and faster Face ID.
- It ships with the next-gen A13 Bionic chipset, with 2 high-performance cores and 4 high-efficiency cores. Apple is betting big on Machine Learning prowess of the new SoC. The iPhone 11 claims to offer an additional 1-hour battery life over the iPhone XR. Although they support 18W fast charger, it will be sold separately and you get a meager 5W charger in the box.
- The iPhone 11 starts with a price sticker of $699 (Rs. 64,900 in India) for the base 64GB model.
Apple iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max
- These ones also come in a single piece of Glass body with stainless steel frames. The available color variants are midnight green, space gray, silver/white, and gold.
- They adorn the so-called Pro display, which stretches to 6.5-inches on the iPhone 11 Pro Max, and 5.8-inches on the iPhone 11 Pro. These are Super Retina OLED panels with 2 million to 1 contrast ratio, 1200 nits of brightness and are claimed to be 15 percent frugal on power consumption.
- On that note, the iPhone 11 Pro brags a 4-hours extra runtime than the iPhone XS, while the 11 Pro Max claims even a higher 5 hours surplus battery life than the iPhone XS Max. Another good news is an 18W fast charger right within the box.
- Like the regular iPhone 11, these are also equipped with HDR10, Dolby Vision, Dolby Atmos as well as that Spatial Audio technology.
- On the camera side of things, there is a new wide-angle camera with f/1.8 lens, a telephoto lens with f/2.4 aperture and lastly an ultrawide camera with 120-degree FoV and f/2.0 aperture. You could optical zoom between 0.5x, 1x, and 2x scales.
- The fancy features include Deep Fusion, which utilizes Machine Learning to take 9 shots (in the order of four short images, four secondary images before hitting the shutter, then a long exposure once the button is hit) and combines them for detailed output.
- Yet again, you get 4K@60 fps videography from all three cameras. Apple also showcased an audio zoom feature for the videos.
- The iPhone 11 Pro starts at $999 (Rs. 99,990 in India) while the Pro Max is priced at $1099 (Rs. 1,09,900 in India). Pre-orders begin the coming Friday at 5 am PT, whilst shipping will start on September 20th globally (September 27th in India).
- Weirdly enough, Apple exhibited the iPhone XR (currently at $599) and the iPhone 8 (priced at $449).
|Models||iPhone 11||iPhone 11 Pro||iPhone 11 Pro Max|
|Display||6.1-inch LCD, 1792×828-pixels, 326 PPI||5.8-inch OLED, 2436×1125-pixels, 458 PPI||6.5-inch OLED, 2688×1242-pixels, 458 PPI|
|OS||iOS 13||iOS 13||iOS 13|
|Processor||7nm+ A13 chip||7nm+ A13 chip||7nm+ A13 chip|
|Rear Camera||12MP+ 12MP ultrawide||12MP+ 12MP telephoto+ 12MP ultrawide||12MP+ 12MP telephoto+ 12MP ultrawide|
|Battery||3110mAh with 18W charger (not included in the box)||3190+mAh with 18W charger||3500mAh with 18W charger|
|Colors||Black, Green, Yellow, Purple, Red, White||Space Gray, Silver, Gold, Midnight Green||Space Gray, Silver, Gold, Midnight Green|
Apple iPhone 11 Series: Quick Bytes
The Apple iPhone 11 price in India starts at ₹64,900. The phone will become available in the country from Friday, September 27.
The iPhone 11 comes in six new gorgeous colours: red, black, white, yellow, green and purple.
Like the iPhone 11 Pro, the Max version also comes in three storage options:
64GB, 256GB and 512GB. The Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max base variant price in India is ₹109,900.
The Apple iPhone 11 Pro India price starts at ₹99,900. It will be available in
64GB, 256GB, and 512GB storage options.
Apple’s new iPhones are water-resistant up to 2 meters for 30 minutes.
Alongside the new iPhones, Apple also launched Apple TV+ which will also be available in India. The Apple TV+ subscription costs ₹99 per month with a seven-day free trial. Apple will be offering a year-long subscription for free to all customers who purchase any iPhone, Mac or iPad product starting September 11, 2019.