Telegram is one of the most widely used messaging apps apart from WhatsApp as it has features that make it preferable over other messaging applications. With over 700 million users, the app is one of the hot favorites due to features like video calling support, multi-device capabilities, media sharing, and more. Some of Telegram’s features make it even better than WhatsApp which can be one reason behind its’ fast-growing users.
However, like every other app, Telegram has some annoying features that it needs to get rid of. One of these is the app notifying you every time one of your contacts joins Telegram. Since you provide Telegram access to your contacts, it will detect if someone on your contacts list creates an account and let you know about it. However, you may not really care about those people joining Telegram, and in that case, the notifications will annoy you.
So, If you are also someone who is annoyed by such notifications then here’s what you can do to get rid of them.
Turning Off Contact Joined Telegram Notifications on iOS (iPhone/iPad)
- Open the Telegram app on your iOS device.
- Click on Settings in the bottom right corner of the screen.
- Tap on the Notifications and Sounds option in the menu.
- Move down to the New Contacts option and turn the toggle off manually.
You will no longer receive contact joined telegram notifications from here on.
Turning Off Contact Joined Telegram Notifications on Android devices
- Open the Telegram app on your Android device.
- Click on the 3-dot hamburger menu and select the Settings option.
- Tap on Notifications and Sound Option.
- Look for the Events section and manually turn off the toggle called ‘Contact Joined Telegram’.
You will no longer receive these notifications
Turning Off Contact Joined Telegram Notifications on Desktop/PC
Telegram Desktop is the official app for platforms like Windows, macOS, and Linux. The notifications on these devices can also be turned off and the steps are similar to the ones for Android devices.
- Open the Telegram app on your PC/Desktop.
- Go to the 3-dot hamburger menu, and select Settings.
- Click on the Notifications and Sounds option. A menu will open.
- Move down to the Events section and turn off the toggle called ‘Contact Joined Telegram’.
These steps will mostly remain the same for Telegram web or Unigram for Windows. The only slight difference is that in Unigram, the option is not a toggle but a checkbox.
Stopping New Chats from Appearing in Telegram When Contacts Join
Whenever new contacts join Telegram, you will not only receive a notification but also find an automatically generated new chat with the contact in the mobile app. These chats can be stopped as well by using Telegram without sharing with your contacts.
However, if you do it, keep in mind that this method will make it difficult to start new chats in Telegram. You will have to deny access to contacts, and so you will have to search for people with their username instead of their phone number. If people haven’t set a username or if they have hidden their number in Telegram, you might not be able to find them.
The Telegram app allows you to archive or unarchive chats anytime you want to. The archived chats will be found at the end of all the chats. Just tap on the Archived option to see what chats you have archived.