Persistent leaks have been flowing in for the last few months but it was today that finally announced a series of exciting products, including the first foldable phone, the new Galaxy S10 family, Samsung’s first 5G Phone, new Galaxy Camera technology, and new wearables at its annual launch event.
Though there were very few surprises, here is everything important that Samsung talked about at Unpacked 2019:
1. Galaxy Fold
It’s no surprise that Samsung started off with Galaxy Fold for the wow factor.
- Samsung invented a new hinge system for the Fold that isn’t even visible from the outside. It required developing display tech and design processes from the ground up.
- The Galaxy Fold will offer triple app multi-tasking. You can seamlessly switch between screens.
- It is powered by Snapdragon 855 with 12GB RAM, 512GB storage.
- Samsung Galaxy Fold is the first phone with UFS 3.0 storage.
- The foldable phone combines power from two batteries – one for each screen.
- It will be available in several attractive colors, and you will be able to customize hinge color too.
Galaxy Fold Price and Availability: Galaxy Fold will be available in 5G and LTE version starting $1960 from April 26.
2. New Galaxy S10 Camera Features
- The triple camera system offers different sooting options. There’s AI scene recognition, real-time portrait lighting effects, photography advice to help compose perfect shots.
- The Galaxy S10 Plus is the first phone in the world that can capture HDR10 videos.
- The Galaxy S10 can also shoot super steady action footage.
- There is a new Adobe Premiere Pro Rush optimized for Samsung. It works with Dex and supports HDR 10.
- There is dual pixel tech for selfie camera, which means faster focus. The Plus variant gets dual cameras.
- Galaxy S10 camera will have an Instagram mode. Quickly shoot and post to Instagram in a jiffy!
- Samsung is opening the Galaxy Camera SDK to developers so they can develop more apps.
3. Galaxy Buds
- The audio has been tuned by AKG. The new Samsung buds have a custom power-efficient chipset made by Samsung.
- Galaxy buds offer 6 hours of battery life, support wireless charging, and come with a charging case.
- You can also charge them by placing them on the back of your S10
- Galaxy Buds will be available starting March 8 for $128
4. Galaxy Watch Active and Fit
Samsung also presented a couple of wearables at the Unpacked this year.
- The new Galaxy Watch Active has 5ATM water resistance. There is support for 60,000 watch faces.
- The Galaxy Fit weighs just 23 grams, is water resistant and has a color AMOLED screen.
- Both wearables have activity tracking for 6 exercises, sleep tracking, and support 5 custom exercise modes.
- And you can charge them wirelessly by placing them on your S10 or S10 Plus.
5. Galaxy S10 – Family
The biggest attraction was, of course, were the new Galaxy flagships phones:
- The new Infinity-O AMOLED screens are the USP this year. Samsung has somehow reduced Blue light by 42% (without filter).
- Galaxy S10 is the first phone to include Wi-Fi 6.
- The ultrasonic fingerprint sensor is designed to work well in all lighting conditions.
- The new devices will come with up to 10GB RAM and 1.5TB storage.
- Samsung is working with Unity to improve gaming performance.
- Also, there is fast charging 2.0, which is 36% faster than last gen tech, better connectivity, intelligent Wi-Fi and more.
Price and availability
- Galaxy S10 Price: starts at $899.99 (roughly Rs. 64,000)
- Galaxy S10+ Price: starts at $999.99 (roughly Rs. 71,000)
- Galaxy S10E Price: starts at $749.99 (roughly Rs. 53,000)
The three phones will start shipping from March 8 (in US).
Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus vs Galaxy S10 vs Galaxy S10E Specs Comparison
|Model||Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus||Samsung Galaxy S10||Samsung Galaxy S10E|
|Display||6.4-inch, 1440 x 3040 pixels (QHD+), AMOLED
HDR 10, Gorilla Glass 6
|6.1-inch, 1440 x 3040 pixels (QHD+), AMOLED
HDR 10, Gorilla Glass 6
|5.8-inch, 1080 x 2280 pixels (QHD+), AMOLED
HDR 10, Gorilla Glass 5
2×2.7 GHz Mongoose M4 + 2×2.3 GHz Cortex-A75 + 4×1.9 GHz Cortex-A55
1×2.8 GHz Kryo 485 + 3×2.4 GHz Kryo 485 + 4×1.7 GHz Kryo 485
|Internal Storage||Up to 1TB, 512GB Expandable (Hybrid slot)||Up to 512GB, 512GB Expandable (Hybrid slot)||Up to 256GB, 512GB Expandable (Hybrid slot)|
|Software||Android 9.0 Pie based One UI|
||10 MP, f/1.9, Dual Pixel PDAF||10 MP, f/1.9, Dual Pixel PDAF|
|Dimension & Weight||175 gram||7.8mm thick, 157 grams||7.9mm thick, 150 grams|
|Others||In-display fingerprint sensor, Bluetooth 5.0, Dolby Atmos, Dual-band Wi-Fi, IP68 water and dust resistant, Stereo speakers, USB 3.1 Type-C port||In-display fingerprint sensor, Bluetooth 5.0, Dolby Atmos, Dual-band Wi-Fi, IP68 water and dust resistant, Stereo speakers, USB 3.1 Type-C port||Side fingerprint sensor, Bluetooth 5.0, Dolby Atmos, Dual-band Wi-Fi, IP68 water and dust resistant, Stereo speakers, USB 3.1 Type-C port|
|Battery||4100mAh, Fast charging, Wireless Charging, Reverse wireless charging||3400mAh, Fast charging, Wireless Charging, Reverse wireless charging||3100mAh, Fast charging, Wireless Charging, Reverse wireless charging|
6. Galaxy S10 5G
Samsung’s first 5G phone looks a lot like Galaxy S10+, but there are a few differences.
- The S10 5G comes with an even bigger 6.7-inch display and a bigger 4,500mAh battery.
- It has a fourth ToF camera on the rear to better support AR.
- The Galaxy S10 5G also has faster fast charging (25W).
6 Major Galaxy Unpacked 2019 Highlights
So, this covers everything important that Samsung announced at its launch event today. We will be back with more S10 related stuff soon. Meanwhile, share what you are most exited about with us.