The Redmi Note 9 has debuted in China and it comes running on a new MediaTek mid-ranger. Just three months since the Helio G80, the company has announced a new chip called Helio G85. And as you would suspect, it’s an iterative upgrade over the predecessor. It’s in fact a lot similar to the G80 bar one thing.
Let’s see what it is and get into the underlying nitty-gritty.
MediaTek Helio G85 Specs
Helio G85 is an octa-core processor based on a 12nm node and a 2+6 Core architecture. That is a 2x Cortex A75 high-performance cluster running at 2.0Ghz speed along with a 6x Cortex-A55 efficiency cluster. All that’s the same as Helio G80.
The difference stems from the GPU side. The Mali G52 MC2 is clocked at a faster speed, viz. 1000MHz against G80’s 950MHz. A 50MHz might not seem biggie, but that’s what you’re getting.
Then there is MediaTek’s HyperEngine, which begets the following benefits:
- Intelligent prediction of Wi-Fi & LTE concurrency triggers in just 13 milliseconds
- A faster response between smartphone and cell-tower
- Simply defer calls while in-game without the connection dropping for a moment
- Intelligent, dynamic management of CPU, GPU, and memory
- Smoother performance in heavy-loading game engines, demanding scenes and intense gameplay
- Enhanced power efficiency for even longer gameplay
Other features of Helio G85 include:
- Camera support up to 48MP (pixel binning); or 16MP + 16MP duo at 30fps with Zero Shutter Lag.
- Integrated Voice Wakeup (VoW) in the Android OS that would enhance always-on Google Assistant response times.
- Highly Accurate Inertial Navigation that vaunts to provide an accurate location whether users are underground, driving through tunnels, or in any other situations where GNSS services are unavailable.
- AI-based tasks such as Google Lens get a performance boost in terms of the smart photo album, scene detection, object segmentation with background removal, and Bokeh-shot enhancements.
“MediaTek is expanding our Helio G family to give device makers more options in designing smartphones that deliver an elite gaming experience,” said Dr. Yenchi Lee, Assistant General Manager of MediaTek’s wireless business unit. “The Helio G85 delivers a combination of impressive performance, minimal power consumption and a range of other gaming enhancements so users can enjoy fast and smooth gameplay.”