It’s about 3 to 4 times a year when you can expect real innovation in smartphones, and today was one such day. Huawei unleashed its next-generation flagships – Mate 30 Pro and Mate 30 – and considering how much we adored the Mate 20 Pro, we were naturally excited.
Things aren’t the same this year though. Caught between the US-China trade war, Huawei’s next flagship is missing out on Google Apps and we will have to see if that’s something the global audience will accept.
- The OLED screen has 88-degree colors. The blue light impact has been reduced by 25%.
- You can slide up or down on curved edges to adjust the volume (invisible keys). The phone has in-display fingerprint and in-display speakers.
- Mate 30 Pro and Mate 30 come in unique and amazing colors.
- The Kirin 990 5G SoC is the latest 7nm+ based chip and the only SoC that integrates the 5G modem on the same die.
- Mate 30-series have 40W wired charging and 27W wireless charging.
- Reverse wireless charging is 3x faster
- Huawei’s SuperSensing cameras are extremely sensitive to light. Yes, the handset can record 720p videos.
- Huawei also introduced its Gimbal to compliment the Mate 30 Pro cameras.
- The software is new EMUI 10 that adheres to a new color scheme and has a magazine layout.
- Unfortunately, Huawei Mate 30-series phones won’t have Google Apps.
Huawei Mate 30 Pro and Mate 30 Features
Huawei Mate 30 Pro has a 6.62-inch OLED “Horizon display” with 18.4:9 aspect ratio and steeply curved side edges. The display reduces the harmful Bluelight by 25-percent. The handset still has a notch, but it’s smaller than that on Mate 20 Pro (while retaining the complicated system for 3D face recognition).
Huawei has made the batteries lighter and has tried to shave off every extra mm in dimensions to ensure a comfortable in-hand feel. Just as the Mate 20 Pro, there is no earpiece and the display vibrates for audio. There are no volume buttons either, but you can slide on left or right edge to adjust the volume. Both phones have an IP rating for dust and water resistance.
The Mate 30-series is steered by Kirin 990 chipset with a proper cooling mechanism for sustainable performance under heavy loads. The batteries support 40W wired and 27W fast charging.
The EMUI 10 software running on the phone is fashioned on a magazine layout, has fluid animations, a new dark mode, and a color-changing always-on display. The EMUI 10 is also designed to work better with multiple screens.
Now, the cameras!
The Mate 30 has triple rear cameras that Huawei calls SuperSensing array. The system comprises of a 40MP SuperSensing Camera, 16MP Ultra Wide-angle Camera and an 8MP Telephoto Camera (3x optical zoom).
The Mate 30 Pro has a quad-camera system with the 40MP Cine Camera, 40MP SuperSensing Camera, an 8MP Telephoto Camera, and a 3D Depth Sensing Camera.
Huawei has used large size sensors and focused on improving lowlight performance. The Mate 30 Pro can even shoot ultra slow-motion at the highest 7680 fps! In the launch presentation, Huawei showed off how the camera could capture the flapping wings of a hummingbird.
Other camera features include 4K Low-light Ultra-wide time-lapse video, pro-bokeh capabilities, bokeh videos, and 3D depth mapping for portrait effects in selfies.
Huawei Mate 30 Pro and Mate 30 Specifications
|Model||Huawei Mate 30 Pro||Huawei Mate 30|
|Display||6.53-inch OLED Horizon screen (steep curves), 1080 x 2340 resolution, 18.4:9 aspect ratio||6.53-inch OLED Horizon screen (steep curves), 1080 x 2340 resolution, 18.4:9 aspect ratio|
|Processer||Kirin 990 5G octa-core||Qualcomm Snapdragon 710 SoC|
|RAM||Up to 8GB||Up to 8GB|
|Internal Storage||Up to 256GB, nano memory cards support||Up to 256GB, nano memory cards support|
|Software||EMUI 10||EMUI 10|
|Rear Camera||40MP Cine Camera + 40MP SuperSensing Camera + 8MP Telephoto Camera + 3D Depth Sensing Camera
OIS + AIS
|40MP SuperSensing Camera, 16MP Ultra Wide-angle Camera + 8MP Telephoto Camera
OIS + AIS
|Front Camera||32MP + 3D TOF||32MP + 3D TOF|
|Battery||4500 mAh, 40W Charger, 27W wireless charging, 3x faster reverse wireless charging||4200 mAh, 40W Charger, 27W wireless charging, 3x faster reverse wireless charging|