Social Distancing doesn’t have to mean social disconnection. This new tool could prove a godsend for those of us who love watching Netflix shows and movies with our friends. What we have here is – Netflix Party, which is a Google Chrome Extension that lets you simultaneously watch and stay connected online with friends located anywhere.
Sounds too good to be true? Well, it boasts around 3,000,000+ users worldwide with mixed reviews. That’s a staggering userbase and a testament to its popularity. But, as I said, the reviews are uneven. And even more importantly, it is not officially supported or endorsed by Netflix.
Ergo, you may proceed at your own risk!
Having said that, let’s get crackin’
How to setup Netflix Party
Here are the steps to install and set up a Netflix sync amongst friends:
- Open Google Chrome browser and hop on to the Chrome Web Store.
- Search for and download the Netflix Party extension.
- The extension will download and install automatically. Thence, an icon will be added to the Chrome taskbar (right next to the search bar).
- Next up, open Netflix and play any content.
- You’ll see a prompt to “Start the Party”. Tap it. (You get to decide whether you want to exercise complete control or not. If you have control, then you
will be able to pause, forward, rewind and play some other content.
- In the next pop-up, you’ll get a link. Copy and share this URL with your friend(s). Ensure the ‘Show Chatbox’ option is ticked. Chatbox allows you and your pals to chat while watching content.
Go check it out!
Do note that the Netflix Party link can be shared with as many people as you want. They will be directed to the download site of the Netflix Party. The official website do have a nice walkthrough. And in case, they have it installed already, then right by clicking the link, they are redirected to the actual content. You or the other party can anytime disconnect from the chat and the whole extension feature.
ALSO READ: WhatsApp will soon have a Fact Checker
That’s one heck of a nifty feature, especially considering we all are caged inside four walls! If you’ve tried it let us know down in the comments how it worked for you?