Google has finally announced the Pixel 4a, Pixel 4a 5G, and Pixel 5 (also a 5G phone) all at once. However, of the three, only the Pixel 4a (4G variant) is coming to India. The phone will launch in the month of October. Its Flipkart listing is already up.
So, even though its a little late to the party, being a Google phone, there’s a certain pull to it. Besides the obvious camera perk, the new handset brings a few other idiosyncrasies peculiar to Google offering. What are they? Let’s, have a look —
Google Pixel 4a Features
Hardware-wise, the Google Pixel 4a packs a 5.81-inch full-HD+ punch-hole display, an 8MP front camera, a 12MP rear shooter, Snapdragon 730G, 6GB LPDDR4x RAM, 128GB non-expandable storage, a 3,140mAh with 18W charging support, rear fingerprint scanner, 4G Dual-SIM VoLTE, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 5.0, USB Type-C, stereo speakers and a 3.5mm headphone jack. There is also a custom Titan-M security chip inside that secures the OS and your data.
The specs would seem a lil underwhelming in a lush mobile landscape like India. But, as you may know already, the real USP (if you will) of a Google device is its software experience. It is still running on Android 10 but with a few frills of its own:
- The camera features like Live HDR+, Night Sight (W/ astrophotography), portrait mode, etc.
- Adaptive Battery setting that learns your usage patterns and reduces power allocation to lesser used apps.
- Native Pixel recorder app with smart transcribe support. Speaking of which, with it, you can live-caption phone and video calls, even the ones made over 3rd-party apps like Facebook Messenger.
- Screen Call feature wherein the Google Assistant screens the calls. You’ll get a real-time transcript of the conversation. You can also get involved with a suggested response, pick up the call, or hang up.
- Personal Safety app that auto-dials your emergency contacts (with a real-time location) in case of car-crash; alerts you during any natural disasters and public crisis; and the new manual safety check scheduler.
- Android OS and security updates for at least 3 years.
The phone is made of plastic and comes in a solo Jet Black color option.
ALSO READ: Asus ZenBook 14 2020 (UX425J) Review
Google Pixel 4a Price and Availability
Google Pixel 4a will arrive in India in the month of October via Flipkart, and possibly other outlets. As for pricing, the phone hits the US stores at $349, which translates to ₹26,300. Now, at what price, Google actually releases the phone in India is yet to be known, although it hints at a “more affordable price”.
Meanwhile, the Pixel 4a (5G) and the higher-end Pixel 5 won’t be coming to the country “based on a variety of factors including local market trends and product features”.
Anyway, if Google gets both the pricing and channel strategy right, there might be a sliver of hope for its new phone. What do you think?
ALSO READ: Amazfit Bip S Lite Review
Google Pixel 4A Specs
|Phone name||Pixel 4A|
|Display||5.81-inch, OLED Full HD+ 19.5:9 aspect ratio, 443ppi pixel density, Always-on display, HDR|
|Processor||Qualcomm Snapdragon 730G|
|Battery||3140mAh with 18W USB Type-C adapter with USB PD 2.0 support|
|Rear camera||12MP, f/1.7 (HDR+ with dual exposure controls, Portrait Mode, Top Shot, Night Sight with astrophotography, and fused video stabilization, OIS)|
|Front camera||8MP, f/2.0|
|Misc. features||3.5mm jack, rear-fingerprint scanner, stereo speakers, 4G Dual-SIM VoLTE, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 5.0, Titan M security chip|
|Dimensions & weight||144×69.4×8.2mm and weighs 143 grams|