Apple events have been the highlight of tech calendar because whatever Apple does has a resounding impact all year round. Apple hosted its annual iPhone launch event in San Francisco on September 7 to showcase what it has been cooking, and just in case you missed the key unveiling, Here are the five major takeaways from the ‘See You’ event:
The New iPhones
7th Generation iPhones look remarkably similar to the previous generation iPhone models. The display size remains same, the rounded edges are here to stay and the button placement also remains same. But that’s just scratching the surface. There are many subtle and hard hitting changes which need to be considered.
Apple iPhone 7 key features and highlights:
– Bye-bye 3.5mm jack, apple says removing the jack will help make room for new tech (bigger battery, new taptic engine) and with better quality audio.
– Apple finally switches to quad-core chip. The new big.LITTLE A10 is a lot faster and power efficient
– Both iPhones are IP67 dust and water resistant certified
– The home button on new iPhones doesn’t press. It’s pressure sensitive, though. The whole bottom part vibrates instead and returns haptic feedback.
– Only the iPhone 7 Plus gets to flaunt dual Cameras (12mp +12MP). Now you can use 2X optical zoom or 10 digital zoom and an upcoming update will add option for bokeh effect.
– The selfie camera has been improved and now has a 7MP sensor.
– iPhones now have stereo speakers, which qualifies as a major reform in our books
– Oh, and there are two new colors too – The Black and Jet Black. The Jet Black one looks best, but is prone to smudges and scratches.
Taking the 3.5mm audio jack out of the equation, Apple is really enthusiastic about pushing its wireless AirPods which come with a dedicated W1 chipset.
AirPods key features and highlights
– You will have to buy them separately for $159
– The smart charging case they come in triggers pairing process with the nearby iPhone as soon as it’s opened.
– The Air Pods can offer 5 hours of battery life, and the case packs another 24 hours worth of battery life
– They are smart. Music starts playing automatically as soon as you plug both in. It pauses when you take one out.
– The inbuilt microphone facilitates hands-free calls. You can also double tap to talk to Siri.
– Of course, they are very easy to lose.
Apple will start rolling out iOS 10 to iPhone 5 and higher, iPhone touch 6th generation and higher, iPad mini 2 and above, iPad 4th generation and above, iPad Air and iPad Pro models on September 13. Here are a few Key Improvements.
iOS 10 Key Features and Highlights:
– Smarter Siri, which developers can also integrate within Apps
– The new “Raise to wake” feature, popularly referred to as ‘Always On’ display in Android realms
– Now 3D touch supports will be available across apps and folders. It can also be used to interact with notifications
– New revamped notification center which uses widgets like system to pin and quick information without unlocking the device.
– Allows you to uninstall stock apps (they are essentially disabled)
– Apps like iMessage, Apple News, Photos, Apple Music and Maps get a design overhaul and emerge swankier than ever before.
Apple Watch Series 2
The new Apple Watch looks identical to the original one but there are several significant changes on the inside. Besides the Aluminum and Stainless Steel variants, a white Ceramic variant which is 4 times harder than stainless steel was also showcased at the event. Apple is no longer targeting the luxury watch market and has instead shifted complete focus on Fitness related features and performance improvements.
Apple Watch Series 2 Key Feature and Highlights
– Apple claims that the display is the brightest they have ever shift
– A faster dual core processor is housed inside
– GPS connectivity has also been added
– You can wear new apple watch in the pool (water resistant up to 50 meters)
– An Apple Watch Nike+ edition designed for runners will also be available in October
– Battery life remains same as the original watch (18 hours)
– Apple didn’t add cellular functionality, and that’s fine by us.
– All variants to cost $369.
The new Apple Watch software, the WatchOS 3, is faster, more refined and intuitive. Of course the new Apple Watch Series 2 will be running the latest WatchOS 3 out-of-the-box, but even last year watches will get it via OTA update starting September 13.
WatchOS 3 Key Features and highlights
-With WatchOS 3, users can now change watch face with a simple swipe, Activity-specific watch faces also added.
– Brings in a new control center
-Now, apps will loads 7 times faster and perform better.
-Pressing side button will take users to the dock.
-A simple swipe up can be used to switch to do not disturb mode.
-The new scribble keyboard added for better typing experience.
-A New SoS feature that connects to emergency numbers worldwide.