e-SIM or an embedded SIM has been around in India for a while now and the company that brought e-SIM to the country is now urging its consumers to switch to it as soon as they can. Airtel was the first telecom company to launch e-SIM in India and Google Pixel 2 was the first device to come with an e-SIM capability post which Apple’s iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR were announced with e-SIM in 2018. This trend of e-SIM gained major traction when Apple introduced them with its iPhone 12 Series, offering a new way to use two SIMs on one phone. Currently, Airtel, Jio, and Vi are the 3 companies that offer e-SIMs in India.
Now, Airtel seems to be in a mood to leave behind physical SIM cards completely. Recently, Airtel’s CEO Gopal Vittal wrote a letter to all the customers with an important message. He has sent an email to the subscribers urging them to switch to e-SIM for more convenience and safety. The letter mentions not only how e-SIM is better but also important FAQs about e-SIMs. Before we read the letter, getting to know what an e-SIM is and how it works is important.
What is an e-SIM?
e-SIM is an embedded SIM card that can connect to any network operator without using a physical SIM card. The only requirement is that the operator should support e-SIM services.
e-SIM can be enabled through your smartphone and your smartphone should be compatible with e-SIM in India. Not all devices support e-SIM in India so check before you go for them.
Benefits of e-SIM
- eSIM can save a lot of space inside your smartphone by replacing the slide-in tray with an onboard soldered e-SIM. It doesn’t need a card slot.
- e-SIM allows you to change your network operator simply over a phone call or by raising a request online.
- e-SIMs can store multiple network profiles and it works perfectly across the world. It is a great option for those who travel a lot.
- Losing an e-SIM is very unlikely compared to a physical SIM card. It is a hardware chip on your device and the only way to lose your e-SIM is if you lose or break your smartphone.
Let’s now dive into the letter by the Airtel CEO.
Gopal Vittal’s letter regarding e-SIM
I am delighted that a lot of you are not enjoying superfast speeds with Airtel 5GPlus. I am writing today to share the news of another advancement in mobile technology that will make things easier and more convenient for you. I’m referring to the embedded SIM or e-SIM as it is also known.
An e-SIM is an online extension of your regular SIM card and with it you will no longer need to have access to the physical SIM card on your phone. Today, some smartwatches and newer models of smartphones are e-SIM enabled. In these times of digital-first lifestyles, where mobiles, tablets, and watches are all interconnected, the e-SIM will provide seamless connectivity for you….
We have tried to make the switch to an e-SIM as seamless as possible for you and have also tried to answer a few of the questions we anticipate you may have….
As I said, we at Airtel want to do everything we can to ensure that you have as convenient and efficient a connectivity experience as possible. And, as always we would love to hear from you on any further suggestions, you may have for us. To share your input, please reply to this email.
CEO & MD, Bharti Airtel
Advantages of e-SIM
Airtel CEO’s letter mentions some advantages of switching to e-SIM-
- You will be able to go for a morning jog and not carry your phone with you since the e-SIM will enable connectivity on your smartwatch while your phone sits by your bedside at home and you enjoy your run.
- Customers will be able to use multiple mobile numbers on a single e-SIM and it is also very easy to change devices with e-SIM.
- If there is an instance of theft of your device, it will be much harder for criminals to get rid of your e-SIM since these can’t be physically removed from phones. This will make the smartphone easier to track as well.
FAQs about e-SIM transition
1. Is my smartphone Airtel e-SIM compatible?
All devices that support an e-SIM feature are compatible with the Airtel e-SIM.
2. Can one convert his/her physical SIM to an e-SIM?
Yes, it just takes a few steps to convert your physical SIM to an e-SIM. Just go to the Airtel Thanks app and follow the instructions.
3. How much time will it take to activate an e-SIM?
As soon as the e-SIM profile is downloaded and enabled, it gets activated.