Xiaomi partners with OneAssist to introduce insurance plans for its smartphones and tablets in India, which will provide cover against accidental and liquid damage. For Redmi 2 and Redmi 2 Prime, the Mi Protect will cost 245 INR, and for Mi4i, Mi4 and MiPad, you will have to shell out 499 INR.
This is pretty economical since Xiaomi includes free pickup and drop service and provide cover against falling, extursion, collision or liquid damage. But the offer is valid only if you have purchased your phone from Mi.com. It is mandatory to buy both the phone and insurance plan together.
You will have to report damage within 2 working days to OneAssist and submit all relevant information within 15 days. You can contact OneAssist on toll free number 1800407333333. Mi Protect team will visit your place to verify damage and initiate the free- repair process.
The insurance won’t cover mysterious disappearances. For replacement and non-repairable cases (replacement cost is more than 75 percent of invoice value) cases, Xiaomi will pay after taking depreciation into account based on how old your phone is. In case of theft, OneAssist team will help you block and track your stolen SIM card. For more details, you can visit the official Mi Protect page.
Key Features of Mi Protect
- 24×7 call center support to report damages
- One call to block your SIM from anywhere in the world
- SIM misuse insurance cover of upto Rs. 3000
- Accidental and liquid damage protection
- Doorstep pickup and drop for repair
- Smartphone assistance to resolve all your Mi phone related queries
- Docusafe of upto 1GB to store and access all your important document from anywhere in the world
These plans will give more incentive for buyers to directly purchase from Mi.com, but existing buyers are sure to be disappointed.