Until a few years back, MediaTek had a monopoly of sorts when it came to devices priced under 15,000 INR. The new 64-Bit Snapdragon 400 series chips were the first to break these entry-level barriers and they are getting better every year.
Qualcomm today announced the new Snapdragon 450 Chipsets in India, ones that you will be seeing on many under 10,000 INR devices by early 2018. The new Snapdragon 450 is a big leap forward and incorporates enough changes to warrant a ‘major upgrade’ tag.
Also Read: Chinese OEMs Increasingly Switching From MediaTek To Qualcomm Chipsets
Snapdragon 450 features and improvements over Snapdragon 435
– Snapdragon 450 is formed on 14nm FinFet Process, same power efficient process as Snapdragon 625 and Snapdragon 820
– Qualcomm claims Snapdragon 430 phones will have additional 4 hours of battery life compared to Snapdragon 435 devices.
– It’s still got 8 Cortex-A53 cores, but the smaller die size permits Qualcomm to increase maximum clock frequency to 1.8GHz (from 1.4GHz)
-The new Adreno 506 GPU will also see some significant performance gains (Qualcomm claims 25 percent gain with 30 percent less power consumption) with the shift to 14nm process (from 28nm). It also adds support for Vulkan and DirectX 12.
– The new ISP can now support up to 13MP+13MP dual cameras or 21MP single camera sensor. It also supports 1080p videos at 60fps.
– USB controller now supports USB 3.0, QuickCharge 3.0 is also supported.
– The modem remains almost same. You get Integrated X9 modem with support for LTE Category 7 down and Category 13 up.
Also Read: Reasons Why You Should or Shouldn’t buy OnePlus 5
Snapdragon 450 vs Snapdragon 435
When will we see Snapdragon 450 Phones?
The first set of Snapdragon 450 powered phones will arrive in Q4 2017. Next year, you can expect Redmi 5 series, Lenovo K-series, and next generation of Moto devices to be powered by Snapdragon 450 processor.
Also Read: Phone Comparison – Redmi 4 vs Moto C Plus