Whatsapp rolled out the Status feature back in February of 2017. It is a borrowed feature from Instagram, which in turn picked it from Snapchat. And just like its sister apps and Snapchat, Whatsapp doesn’t allow you to download the image or video posted as the status directly. But, there are workarounds, especially in the Android arena.
The trick we are sharing here is Super Simple and doesn’t involve any third party app or root access. So, without any fluff, let’s get into the procedure. Simply follow the steps as given below:
Steps to download or save WhatsApp Status on your Android phone
1. First of all, you need to have a File Manager that can display of hidden files (which is most file managers). If you’re unsure, go download Google Files from the Play Store.
2. Open the app and click on the menu icon at the top left corner in the app. Alternatively, you could slide open the menu drawer from the left-hand side. Now, tap on the “Settings”.
3. Now, turn on the “show hidden files” toggle within the settings menu.
4. Now come back to the main page and tap on the Internal Storage option at the bottom.
5. Scroll and Find the WhatsApp folder. Open it and you will see the Media folder.
6. Here, you’ll see a “.Statuses” folder. Open it.
7. Voila! All the status videos and images that you have viewed in the past 24 hours are present in the folder. Now, you can view them, copy and save them somewhere else.
We tried this procedure in our OnePlus default File manager application and it worked without any issue. So, go try it out in either Google Files app or in your native file explorer.
Please note: Whatsapp and other social media apps do not let you download status and story videos and images to protect the user/uploader’s privacy. So, do inform a person if and when you’re saving/downloading/sharing their WhatsApp Status videos or photos.