Even though no one has cracked the perfect Smart Watch formula, these wearable gadgets are always evolving for the better. The Samsung Gear S2 was a genuinely brilliant attempt which introduced the much celebrated rotating bezel. Everything about this supple smartwatch, including its Tizen-based Circular OS, added up to great user experience.
Naturally, expectations from its successor, the Gear S3, were sky high.
Samsung has already introduced two new variants of the new Gear smartwatch – Frontier and Classic – at ongoing IFA 2016. The Gear S3 cramps more features like independent cellular connectivity, speaker, 4g LTE (Frontier only) and makes room for a bigger battery, but at the expense of last iteration’s slim and lithe design.
The new Samsung watches are significantly thicker compared to last iteration (11.4mm vs. 12.9mm), cover larger footprint and are bulkier. Good news for anyone who prefers hefty watches.
Yes, the rotating bezel has been passed on to the new generation models. A combination of 1GHz dual-core processor, 768MB RAM, and 4GB storage will power the Gear S2.
Key Features of Samsung Gear S3 Frontier and Classic
- Gear S3 Frontier is sportier of the two. It includes 4G LTE connectivity, can make cellular calls and can directly stream music.
- The Classic is a more polished version which is slightly lighter.
- Both Gear S3 variants have larger 1.3-inch (360×360 pixels) Circular Super AMOLED Always On display
- The displays are protected with the new Gorilla Glass SR+, specially designed to protect Smart Watches and other wearables from scratches
- Software is Tizen based wearable platform 2.3.2
- Both variants offer 3 to 4 days of backup (380mAh battery) and support Wireless charging
- The Gear S3 is IP68 Certified Dust and Water Resistant
- Watch sensors include Accelerometer, Gyroscope, Heart Rate, Ambient Light, and Barometer
- Connectivity options include WiFi 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.2, NFC, MST, A-GPS/Glonass
Samsung Gear S3 Price and Availability
The new Gear S3 smartwatches will roll out starting October 2016. The Gear S3 Classic is priced at $299 (Rs. 20015 approx.). The Price of Gear S3 Frontier will be revealed later. There is no word on availability in India as of now.