As Kia unveils the 2024 Sonet facelift and recently launches the 2023 Seltos, both boasting updated designs and new features, prospective buyers find themselves at the crossroads of choice. Anticipated prices for the subcompact SUV are expected in early 2024, aligning with the higher-end variants likely falling within the price range of the mid-spec variants of the Seltos. For those in search of a new SUV within a similar budget, the comparison between the top-spec Sonet variant and the mid-spec Seltos variant offers valuable insights to aid in decision-making. Let’s delve into the details.
2024 Kia Sonet Facelift vs. 2023 Kia Seltos Price Difference
While the pricing for the 2024 Sonet facelift is yet to be officially announced by Kia, preliminary estimates place the higher-end GTX+ variant in the range of Rs 13.3 lakh to Rs 15 lakh (ex-showroom). In the interest of fairness, this comparison focuses on the mid-spec HTK+ variant of the 2023 Seltos.
|2024 Sonet GTX+ (Estimated)
|2023 Seltos HTK+ (Actual)
|Ex-Showroom Price Range
|Rs 13.3 lakh – Rs 15 lakh
|Rs 13.50 lakh to Rs 15 lakh
2024 Kia Sonet Facelift vs. 2023 Kia Seltos Dimensions
In the context of their respective segments, it’s apparent that the Seltos holds a size advantage, offering more interior space. While the Seltos is wider by a mere 10mm, it is interesting to note that it is shorter by 7mm compared to the Sonet.
|2023 Kia Seltos Facelift
|2024 Kia Sonet Facelift
These dimensions highlight the differences in size between the 2023 Kia Seltos Facelift and the 2024 Kia Sonet Facelift, providing insights into their respective spatial characteristics.
2024 Kia Sonet Facelift vs. 2023 Kia Seltos Features
1. Headlights: The 2024 Kia Sonet Facelift comes with advanced LED projector headlights and connected LED tail lamps, offering not only improved visibility but also a contemporary aesthetic appeal.
2. Sunroof: While both models feature sunroofs, the Kia Seltos Facelift includes a dual-pane panoramic sunroof, available in the 1.5-turbo petrol variant. In contrast, the Sonet opts for a single-pane sunroof.
3. Infotainment System: Providing a more sophisticated technology experience, the Sonet has a larger 10.25-inch touchscreen and a fully digital driver’s display, elevating the cabin’s modernity.
4. Ambient Lighting and Ventilated Seats: Adding a touch of luxury and comfort, the Sonet includes ambient lighting and ventilated seats, enhancing the overall driving experience.
5. Audio System: Elevating the auditory experience, the Sonet features a premium 7-speaker Bose sound system, delivering superior sound quality compared to the Seltos.
6. Connected Car Technology: The Sonet is equipped with connected car technology, allowing for enhanced connectivity and remote control features for a more integrated driving experience.
7. Wireless Phone Charger: For added convenience, the Sonet incorporates a wireless phone charger, eliminating the hassle of cords and ensuring a seamless charging experience.
8. ADAS (Advanced Driver Assistance Systems): Standing out in terms of safety, the Sonet includes ADAS, providing advanced driver assistance features that contribute to an enhanced level of safety during driving.
9. Rear Parking Camera: The Sonet offers a 360-degree camera, providing comprehensive visibility during parking maneuvers and making parking in tight spaces more convenient and secure.
2024 Kia Sonet Facelift vs. 2023 Kia Seltos Powertrain Variations
1. 1.5-litre Naturally Aspirated Petrol Engine:
– 2023 Kia Seltos Facelift (HTK+): The Seltos comes with a 1.5-litre naturally aspirated petrol engine, generating 115PS of power and 144Nm of torque. It is paired with a 6-speed manual transmission.
2. 1.5-litre Diesel Engine:
– 2023 Kia Seltos Facelift (HTK+): The diesel variant of the Seltos is equipped with a 1.5-litre diesel engine, producing 116PS of power and a robust 250Nm of torque. It is mated to a 6-speed manual transmission.
3. 1.5-litre Turbo-petrol Engine:
– 2024 Kia Sonet Facelift (GTX+): The Sonet’s top-end variant features a 1.5-litre turbo-petrol engine, delivering a powerful 163PS and 253Nm of torque. The transmission options include a 6-speed iMT (Intelligent Manual Transmission) for a dynamic driving experience.
4. 1-litre Turbo-petrol Engine:
– 2024 Kia Sonet Facelift (GTX+): In addition to the larger turbo-petrol engine, the Sonet GTX+ variant also offers a 1-litre turbo-petrol engine. While slightly less powerful with 120PS, it still provides a punchy performance suitable for urban driving. The transmission is a 7-speed DCT (Dual Clutch Transmission).
5. 1.5-litre Diesel Engine:
– 2024 Kia Sonet Facelift (GTX+): The diesel option in the Sonet GTX+ variant shares the same engine as the Seltos, a 1.5-litre diesel engine with 116PS of power and 250Nm of torque. It is coupled with a 6-speed automatic transmission.
The power difference between the Seltos HTK+ and Sonet GTX+ variants is primarily due to the engine variations. The Sonet GTX+ variant offers a more diverse engine lineup, including a potent 1.5-litre turbo-petrol engine and a smaller yet efficient 1-litre turbo-petrol engine with advanced transmission options, contributing to a versatile and spirited driving experience.
Engine Performance and Transmission Choices
Both the Seltos and Sonet share a commonality in their engine lineup. However, for those seeking heightened performance, the 2023 Seltos distinguishes itself with a 1.5-litre turbocharged petrol engine coupled with an intelligent manual transmission (iMT). In contrast, the Sonet offers automatic transmission within this price range. It’s worth noting that while automatic transmission is available throughout the Sonet lineup, manual transmission and iMT are specific to the lower-spec variants of the 2024 Sonet. This provides flexibility based on individual preferences.
|2023 Kia Seltos Facelift HTK+ Variant
|2024 Kia Sonet Facelift GTX+ Variant
|1.5-litre naturally aspirated petrol engine
|1.5-litre diesel engine
|1.5-litre turbo-petrol engine
|1-litre turbo-petrol engine
|1.5-litre diesel engine
Conclusion: Making the Right Choice for You
When choosing between the mid-spec Seltos HTK+ and the top-spec Sonet, considerations of features like the digital driver’s display and crucial safety elements like ADAS become paramount. While the Seltos HTK+ caters to daily needs, those eyeing the convenience of automatic transmission may find the Sonet more fitting. It’s a delicate balance—sacrifices may be inevitable, but each model has its unique appeal. Ultimately, it’s about finding the right compromise that aligns with your preferences. Whichever you lean towards, both the Seltos and Sonet stand as reliable choices.