Xiaomi has started rolling out Face Unlock feature to its Redmi Note 5 Pro. During the launch presentation, Xiaomi mentioned that it will be adding Face Unlock by the end of March, but has now pushed the updated earlier than expected.
The feature is a part of MIUI v9.2.4 NEIMIEK update that’s 1.6GB in size. The package also includes camera improvements and other optimizations. If you ordered the Redmi Note 5 Pro yesterday, the update will come pre-installed on your phone out of the box.
If you bought a Redmi Note 5 Pro today, you’ll see an update to v9.2.4 available out of the box – Brings significant camera improvements, stability optimizations, and Face Unlock! ? pic.twitter.com/3ORMHhTFs3
— Clinton Jeff (@clintonjeff) February 22, 2018
How fast is Xiaomi’s Face Unlock?
Xiaomi’s claims that its face Unlock works faster than Fingerprint sensor unlock. It uses a “high-accuracy matching mechanism” to unlock the phone in 500 milliseconds.
After you press the power button and try to unlock your face, there are a few UI transitions before the phone tries to recognize and unlock your phone, which makes it appear a tad slower than the competition in this regard (Honor 9 Lite).
Of course, Xiaomi’s Face Unlock isn’t as secure as the fingerprint sensor. Xiaomi puts a disclaimer regarding the same on the set-up screen.
Also Read: Android P Features – All that you should know
Considering that Honor recently added Face Unlock to Honor 9 Lite, it was wise of Xiaomi to move-in quickly on this. The Redmi Note 5 Pro is the first and only Xiaomi phone to include this feature.
Also, the Face Unlock feature will be available only on the ‘Pro’ variant and not on Redmi Note 5. You can also add face unlock to other phones using Smart Lock feature but this doesn’t work on MIUI running phones.
Redmi Note 5 Price and Availability
The Redmi Note 5 Pro was launched in two variants with 4GB and 6GB of RAM. Yesterday, the Redmi Note 5 Pro 4GB RAM option was up for grabs on Flipkart in Black and Gold color options. Moving forward, Xiaomi will eventually add more colors (Rose Gold and Sky Blue) and the 6GB RAM option to the Mix.
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro specifications and Features
- 5.99-inch (20160x 1080 pixels) FHD+ IPS display
- 1.8GHz Octa-Core Snapdragon 636 with Adreno 509 GPU
- 4GB/6GB RAM, 64GB internal memory, expandable memory up to 256GB with microSD
- Android 7.1 (Nougat) with MIUI 9
- Dual SIM(hybrid sim slot)
- 12MP + 5MP rear camera with LED Flash,1.25μm and 1.12μm, f/2.2 & f/2.0 aperture
- 20MP front-facing camera with Sony IMX 376,
- Dimensions: 158.6 x 75.4 x 8.05mm; Weight: 181g
- 4G VoLTE, WiFi 802.11 b/g/n (2.4/5GHz), Bluetooth 4.2, GPS, Fingerprint Sensor, Face unlock
- 4000mAh (typical) / 3900mAh (minimum) battery