Google is stepping up the Nexus game and wants to take full credit for its devices. The first Google phones – Pixel and Pixel XL – are technically manufactured by HTC, but are Google’s characteristic devices in and out.
The specs are top notch, and we will get to that in a bit, but first let’s list what’s really special about the new Pixel phones:
- These are the first phones with Google Assistant built in. You can just say Ok Google or press the home button and ask the assistant to fetch information from the World Wide Web. Google AI Assistant is smarter than Google Now and is better with natural language queries.
- Google is offering unlimited lifetime Google Drive storage for photos and videos shot from Pixel phones. Just shoot whatever you need to, even if it’s a 4K footage, and keep uploading to Google photos in full resolution.
- The camera on the pixel phones has a DxoMark Mobile score of 89 (The highest ever given to a phone). The camera is one of the fastest out there and has BIG 1.55 micron pixels.
- Pixel owners can design their own Live Cases or buy pre-designed ones from Google. This should ensure your phone looks beautiful to you even when it’s draped in a case.
- Google is also offering expert care with these phones. Just log-in the settings app and tap support. You will be connected to a Google Expert who can walk you through resolving your problem. You can also share your phone screen with customer support.
- The fingerprint sensor can also be used for scrolling down web pages or to drop down the notification shade.
- Google will be handling the updates. Pixel owners will get the latest ones as soon as they are out. Google will continue supporting Pixels phones for 2 years of OS updates, 3 years of security updates.
The Pixel phones come in two sizes, with 5-inch and 5.5-inch AMOLED displays. The larger display on XL gets more pixels (2560 x 1440) and a bigger 3450mAh battery to support it. Rest of the hardware remains same on both devices. Let’s take a look:
Pixel and Pixel XL Specifications and Features
|Display||5.5 inch, AMOLED, QHD (2560×1440), Gorilla Glass 4 on front and rear||5-Inch, AMOLED, Full HD (1080 x 1920) Display, Gorilla Glass 4 on front and rear|
|Processor||2.15 Quad-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 821 chipset , Adreno 530 GPU||2.15 Quad-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 821 chipset , Adreno 530 GPU|
|RAM||4GB LPDDR4 RAM||4GB LPDDR4 RAM|
|Internal Storage||32GB/ 128GB||32GB/ 128GB|
|Software||Android 7.1 Nougat||Android 7.1 Nougat|
|Primary Camera||12.3MP rear camera with LED flash, 1.55umpixel, f/2.0 aperture, PDAF, LDAF||12.3MP rear camera with LED flash, 1.55umpixel, f/2.0 aperture, PDAF, LDAF|
|Battery||2770 mAh non-removable||3450 mAh, removable, no fast charging|
|Others||4G VoLTE, WiFi 802.11ac MIMO (2.4/5 GHz), Bluetooth 4.2 LE, GPS, USB Type-C, 3 microphones, Fingerprint sensor||4G VoLTE, WiFi 802.11ac MIMO (2.4/5 GHz), Bluetooth 4.2 LE, GPS, USB Type-C, 3 microphones, Fingerprint sensor|
Also Read: Here is why Google Allo has a real chance
Price, Availability and After sales support for Pixel phones in India:
Pixel phones will be available in Quite Black and Very Silver colors on Flipkart and across 1000 multi-brand retail stores including Reliance Digital, Chroma and Vijay sales.
Google will also facilitate interest-free EMI and other upgrade offers in India. As for customer support, Pixel owners will have a toll-free phone support number and can access 54 walk-in service centers across 30+ cities in India.
|Pixel||57,000 INR||66,000 INR||October 13|
|Pixel XL||67,000 INR||76,000 INR||October 13|