Qualcomm did acknowledge the existence of a new high-end Snapdragon 821 SoC a few weeks back but didn’t detail what’s inside. Details are still sparse, but Qualcomm has surely opened up a bit more. So here are the improvements in Snapdragon 821 SoC compared to last year’s Snapdragon 820.
|Features||Snapdragon 820||Snapdragon 821|
|Performance Core cluster||2x Kryo 2.15 GHz||2x Kryo 2.34 GHz|
|Power Core Cluster||2x Kryo 1.59 GHz||2x Kryo 2.19 GHz|
|GPU||Adreno 530 624 MHz||Adreno 530 653 MHz|
|Modem||600 Mbps X12 LTE modem||600 Mbps X12 LTE modem|
|Fast charging standard||Quick Charge 3.0||Quick Charge 3.0|
Key Improvements in Snapdragon 821
- Snapdragon 821 will be 5 percent more power efficient compared to 820
- Smartphones powered by Snapdragon 821 would be compatible with Google’s Day Dream VR standard
- Includes support for Dual Phase Detection Autofocus system that will help with better focusing speeds compared to conventional PDAF.
- Image signal processor supports extended ranges for Laser Autofocus
- Qualcomm also claims smoother scrolling and improved web browsing experience owing to some Board Support Package changes.
- 10% faster boot speed
- 10% faster app loading
Asus Zenfone 3 Delux is the first smartphone to ship with the new Snapdragon 821 SoC. Upcoming HTC Nexus phones are also expected to include the new SoC. The point being, we will know if these marketing bullet points hold water soon enough.
Also Read: Qualcomm Is Counting Big On Snapdragon 820